Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessman or Knight/Lochnivar Condensing Boiler?

Options
Don_199
Don_199 Member Posts: 2
Thanks for the tip! One our heating quotes came in with Triangle Tube as well. Any experience with any of these?

Comments

• klaus
    klaus Member Posts: 183
    Options
    Viessman or Knight/Lochnivar Condensing Boiler?

I'm in the process of getting quotes to replace my current steam that was converted from hot water 20 years ago due to a system freeze, now back to hot water heating with an indirect hot water tank. Moving forward, we will be using Apex piping vs. cooper due to cost and the flexibility to move through walls and tighten up close to the basement ceiling.

The local Viessman heating guy is difficult and arrogant to work with. We found another heating company we like to work with but they primarily use the Knight/Lochnivar systems. They can get a Viessman and have been certified to install but do not work with the product often. Aside from the Viessman looking great and using the best in materials, are there any other differences as to why I should spend the extra $$ for a Viessman vs a Knight? Will I save more money in fuel, less service calls, better comfort? Struggling with this one. I can afford to get the Viessman but if Knight is as good as I hear it is, why should I justify the additional expense? Help!
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Look at the Triangle Tube prestige boiler also

Great product, reliability has been great. Good luck
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    Options
    Don

I can really only comment on the Knight from my own experience. I have an 80M in my house since last fall and I've been extremely pleased with the performance. The construction of the unit is top notch and the programmability is very flexible and easy to use.

It's important to be comfortable with your contractor and that they have experience with which ever boiler you end up going with.

The Viessman is supposed to be in a class by itself and it most likely is. Many people here speak very highly of the Vitodens. One thing you haven't mentioned is if a proper heat loss calculation has been done. Even with a modulating boiler, you don't want to oversize it. My energy savings with the Knight have been substantial, to say the least.

Good luck with whatever you end up going with.

Larry
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    Class by itself?

Isn't an efficiency rating enough? 95% is 95% isn't it? Why not put in a Prestige or Knight and save MANY dollars. How do Viessmann's warranty stack up against the others. See, why bother. Viesmann? Big Deal
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Just part of the story...

Efficiency is just part of the story. The appliances need to be compared on the basis of true system efficiency, not AFUE rating; reliability, ease of service; maintenence costs, life cycle costs and tech support.

Your argument sounds like "Why not buy a Yugo? You'll save MANY dollars." Dig deeper...you'll find the differences.

The customer's relationship with the contractor has a lot to do with product selection. With over 45 wall hung condensing boilers on the market, how would a consumer make a wise choice?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 286
    Options

Our Lochinvar Knight distributor is also the Veissmann agent. We have repaired several Veissmann installed by others. They are a little more finicky than others. We have installed around 100 Knight and now Armour boilers. We have had only two that had control card failures. We have had no other failures with them. They will condens with 160F supply temperatures! You must use the pumps recommended by Lochinvar for optimum performance. We use exclusevely the Grundfos recommendations. In commercial applications, the Knights are great since they communicate with each other. There is no need for an external controler. It is a win-win situation.
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    right

And a Ford Taurus and Mercedes S class both have 4 whls and 4 doors.....
  • Don_199
    Don_199 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Specific Differences?

Aside from a comparison to a luxury car, what makes a Veissman so fantastic vs. another boiler? Are there specific differences anyone can share when comparing the two?
This discussion has been closed.