Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving cast iron radiators

Matt_60
Matt_60 Member Posts: 3
Thanks for the ideas. Basically, it sounds like hard, hard work.

Comments

• Matt_60
    Matt_60 Member Posts: 3
    How to move without killing self??

Hi- I am planning on hauling several cast iron radiators for sandblasting and powder coating. I am trying to figure out how to move these things. One option seems to be a large appliance dolly. However, two of my radiators are over 5 feet long. Does anyone have suggestions about equipment or methods?
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

HIRE A TOW TRUCK
  • V8toilet
    V8toilet Member Posts: 71
    heavy radiators

You'll need lots of big guys and an appliance dolly.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,775
    Long radiators

My guess is that the long ones are short. Then you can lay them down on the dolly length wise and strap them to dolly. Then you can haul them easier. Tim
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

Either rent a stair climber dolly or make some little skate boards and ramp it out of the house.

Dave Stroman

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
    Moving enormous rads

Hi Matt,
    I moved a rad of similar dimensions (under-window model, about 6' long)for powdercoating _by myself_ with surprisingly little effort using the aforementioned "skateboard" method. First, I raised the rad just a few inches off the ground using some pipe as a lever and rested the feet of the rad on 2X4 blocks. I then built a simple cradle around the rad using some oak lumber and heavy duty casters and lowered the rad onto the cradle using the same lever. Key for me was to rest the _body_ of the rad, not just the feet on the cross bars of the cradle (the feet were never more than inch above grade) and to place the casters several inches outside for added stability.
    While there's no need to throw out your back doing this, it's worth stating the obvious- it's potentially quite dangerous. I only had two stairs to contend with, and could have let fly with no chance of harming an unsuspecting bystander if all went kerplooy. As they say, your results may vary.
    Good luck,
    Patrick North
  • Mark Z_2
    Mark Z_2 Member Posts: 24
    how to move w/o killing myself?

Matt, recently did exactly what you're going to do. Fortunately for now, the Rads I had re-done were no bigger than 50 sqEDR. However, use of a good hand truck and some BIG friends makes all the differnce in the world. I did, however, stand some on end and then palce them on the hand truck so that they, or rather we, could pass through a doorway w/o any grief. Further, sandblast w/ a powder coat....they'll come out absolutely gorgeous. Stay away from expoxy painting. I had one yellow a bit after a few years. Best of luck and watch your back and toes.

Mark
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    this may sound stupid but

we hire a moving company for the real serious stuff..seems moving companys are used to doing this type of work..we have them put new boilers down in the basements for us too.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.