Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant heat at Church pews

Options
Jim Hedden
Jim Hedden Member Posts: 3
Years ago I had been reading a P&M magazine article that had addressed the heating of a Church. The congregation was warmed by a radiant extruded aluminum heat emitter directly attached to a portion of the pew. This put some radiant heat right where the parishoners sit. Sounds great. I wish to do the same, but the Church would like to see some prior proof that such an addition (not a replacement heating system) to the existing heating system would work.
Does anyone recall the P&M issue, or this referred to article?

Comments

• Bruce M_2
    Bruce M_2 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Where are you located

In Syosset Long Island, St Bedes has radiant heat that was installed in 1953. Here is a link with pictures of the church and a telephone number.

http://www.st-bedes.org/
  • Home Depot Employee
    Home Depot Employee Member Posts: 329
    Options

If I recall in later talks-
    Just as many women loved it, also hated it (Hot Flashes & Menopause)
  • John_173
    John_173 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Some years ago . . .

Maybe you could heat some of the seats & leave others as is. Here is my experience that suggests that solution:

After weeks of post-Mass grumblings, one Sunday, our priest says:

"Everybody who is too hot, raise your hand."
    (A third or so of the people raised hands.)

"Everybody who is cold, raise your hand."
    (Another third raised hands.)

"OK, swap seats!"

True story - only wish that good man were still my priest. The good ones seem to go, the poor ones seem to stay.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,544
    Options
    I remember that.

It was a product that was similar to Radiant Technology's flat baseboard, but I can't recall the manufacturer's name. They entered that job in one of the early RPA System Showcase competitions and won a prize. I was a judge that year. Larry Drake at the RPA may be able to help.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jim Hedden
    Jim Hedden Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Flat Plate rads

Thanks Dan. I will contact Larry Drake. RTI sold rads like the ones you mentioned, and I believe A.I.M. up in New York State provided or manufactured them as well. Was this or is this Hydronic Alternatives?
    I may contact them to see if they have a similar project that has been performed successfully and is saving the church money on fuel bills.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Let us know

I have a similar project I'm working on. Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Home Depot Employee
    Home Depot Employee Member Posts: 329
    Options

Heres an aluminum plate/trim that pex connects to.

I once visited a house that was trimmed out with it, baseboard and doorway trim. One room even had it as the chair rail.

http://www.hydronicalternatives.com/html/radiantpanel.html
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,544
    Options
    Jim,

it was A.I.M. Thanks for jogging my old memory. Hopefully, Larry will be able to get you the details. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.