Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Arco Cast Iron Convectors

Options
Cal D
Cal D Member Posts: 4
I had seen this previously but unfortunately they don't provide the ratings for the convectors due to lack of space. I also found them in the American Standard Heating Products section of the HeatinHelp library but again they don't provide the ratings :( Thanks!

Comments

• Cal D
    Options
    Convector Ratings

I have a job with ARCO Cast Iron Convectors. I'm thinking about converting the system from steam to hot water but I'm unable to locate the BTU output ratings for them. If anyone knows where I could locate this info I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks, Cal
  • bill nye_3
    bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
    Options
    rating

maybe this will help, a little hard to read but if you ....

http://www.heatinghelp.com/pdfs/192.pdf
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    There might be a \"gotcha\"

in those convectors. If this is a Vapor system, they might have orifices cast into them. If you try to run water thru these orifices, they whistle. And there's nothing you can do about it, short of replacing the convectors.

Trane was the manufacturer that used these orifices a lot, but others have too.

Cast-iron convector elements are sectional, just like radiators and boilers. The conversion you are considering will raise the system's working pressure at least ten times. The result might be a system that leaks all over the place, especailly at section joints. I've seen buildings where this has happened- not pretty.

My company does not recommend or perform this type of conversion, and will not work on a system someone else has converted. We don't need the liability.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Cal D
    Options
    Yikes!

Thanks for the heads up,that never even crossed my mind. They are presently installed on a one pipe system and the catalog shows them rated for steam and hot water so I would think that the pressurizing them would be okay, BUT...
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    test

hope for the best but prepare for the worst.Pressurizing them would be ok if they were brand new.......
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    With apologies to Sir Mix-a-lot

that's a pretty big "BUT" ;-) (I know, bad Brad-style pun, couldn't resist)

Keep the steam. Once a steam system is set up right, it's just as comfortable as hot-water. Assuming similar boilers and that both systems are in proper shape, it's just as efficient too.

You've come to the right place for any questions you might have. Have you gotten a copy of Dan's book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating"?

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Cal D
    Options
    Yes

I do have that book. Being able to zone the system was the reason behind considering the changover. That and a rather large addition that is going to be hard to heat with the existing steam system.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    You can zone a steam system room-by-room

if you want, using thermostatic radiator vents. On convectors you'd need the TRV actuators having the dial and sensor on the end of a capillary tube, so they can be located outside the cabinet.

If the addition is that big, I'd use a separate boiler to heat it. That would not only allow basic zoning, but if one boiler quit there would still be heat in the other part of the house. Plus, if you're using an indirect, the smaller boiler could probably operate the indirect by itself- more efficient in the summer.

"Steamhead"

This discussion has been closed.