Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question for Brad White, Tim Smith

Options
Matt_67
Matt_67 Member Posts: 288
We have used the Armour 500Mbtu units with great success. You could use two 400Mbtu units. The vent/combustion air pipng is a little critical. READ the manufactureres instructions. We have probably installed 50 Knights in the past two years with very little of any issues: air switch and an interconnect harness.

Brazed plate heat exchangers will fowl after awhile, even in good water condiutions. The pumps needed for them are all of high head. So pump and operating (electricity) costs are much higher. I got two right now that are problems after 3 years in service.

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,765
    Options
    Question for Brad White or others, Tim Smith

Brad, I have some larger apartment buildings that I need to replace potable boiler on. I want a good high efficiency boiler set up, 1 or 2 boilers for each set of buildings. There are 2 total setups. I have already done sizing. Ideally it will be appx 800 mbh each system. I am not a big fan of the potable condensing boilers out there that I know of. Any ones you like?? Right now I am leaning towards 2 Prestige 399s and 2 braze plate heatx's for each system. Just wondering if there is something simpler but still condensing & high quality in other make. PS, I have sized the heat x with close approach & staying in condensing temps. Any Ideas, thanks in advance, Tim
  • Brad White_185
    Brad White_185 Member Posts: 265
    Options
    Hi Tim

I am going to pass on this one; Domestic HW is not a strong enough suit to give you solid advice, especially where specific brands with track records are better stated by those that install and service them. Sorry!

I will say that every contractor both on and off the Wall seems to favor Triangle Tube products so that much can be said. You did right by sizing the HX for close approach as you noted. You would be surprised how many say, "it says it is rated for X-BTU's!" without asking, "at what temperature"...

All I can do from here-

Brad
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Give Lochinvar a shot Tim...

They do produce their Knight model in a DHW direct heating package (Armour?). If hard water is a potential problem, cover it with a magnetic water conditioner.

I've not had an opportunity to use them for one yet, but only because the opportunity has not arrived. Trust me when I say that they do a LOT of testing before they release a product, and I am certain that they have done their home work on this one as well...

The package you refer to will work, but the SS heat exchanger has as much potential for lime scale fouling as any other HXer would, and you will lose something in the translation between the two efficiency wise. Parasitic cost will be higher as well...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Don_197
    Don_197 Member Posts: 184
    Options
    Armor is The Bomb!

Hi,

I also have been installing the Lochinvar Armor. The energy savings on the retrofits we have done have been a minimum of 45% and a maximum of 60%. I will push this boiler to the hilt on any commercial application. Setup is a breeze, and in my opinion, doing anything less is "fiscally irresponsible".

Don Smet
This discussion has been closed.