Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vent dampers for oil boilers

Options
mark schofield
mark schofield Member Posts: 153
I've attached an email from Field Controls. The web site shows the unit, but the project manager indicates it's not ready yet. I'll pursue this a bit more and post the results. Mark S

At this time there is not one on the market available, but we are in the process of building one. It is still in the test phase, but we are hoping to have it available for this heating season.

Thanks,

Betsy Harrell

Customer Service

bharrell@fieldcontrols.com

252-208-7324

Field Controls, LLC/ Effikal, LLC

(252)522-3031 (252)208-7324

www.fieldcontrols.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 8:15 AM
To: Betsy Harrell
Cc: Lynn Cahoon
Subject: RE: automatic flue dampers

Betsy:

At this time there is not one on the market available, but we are in the process of building one. It is still in the test phase, but we are hoping to have it available for this heating season.

Thanks,

John Cotton
Product Manager
Field Controls
jcotton@fieldcontrols.com
phone: 252-522-3031 ext. 7318
fax: 252-522-0214

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 7:56 AM
To: John Cotton
Subject: FW: automatic flue dampers

Betsy Harrell

Customer Service

bharrell@fieldcontrols.com

252-208-7324

Field Controls, LLC/ Effikal, LLC

(252)522-3031 (252)208-7324

www.fieldcontrols.com

-----Original Message-----
From: mark.schofield [mailto:mark.schofield@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:05 AM
To: customerservice@effikal.com
Subject: automatic flue dampers

Does your company make an automatic flue damper (similar to flue rcvp ksf/pcf) specifically for use with oil fired boilers? Or if not, could you recommend other options to minimize boiler standby losses. Oil is getting expensive. Thanks , Mark Schofield

Comments

• bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
    Options

I have a poor client with a tankless coil in her boiler, so the boiler must run all summer to give her domestic hot water. She only needs the hot water for an hour in the morning and another in the evening. But the unit is hot and heating the world thru the chimney all day. Is there some way to close a damper and then have it open when the unit wants to fire?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Flair used to make stack dampers

for oil-fired units, but they went out of business some years ago.

What burner is on the boiler now? I believe some Riello models have automatic air inlet dampers.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jack_42
    Jack_42 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Try Effikal

They make them pretty much for the industry. I'vehad one on my Buderus G224 for 8 yrs with no problem. Not sure of the service requirement for oil
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Those might be out of production

they don't appear on the Effikal site.... too bad, with oil prices the way they are I bet they'd really sell......

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Unknown
    Options
    I looked too Frank,

like yourself, no such luck. I wish I had an answer for his plight.

Dave
  • mark schofield
    mark schofield Member Posts: 153
    Options
    Field Controls

Field controls has a new product listed on their web site. A damper secific to oil fired boilers. And a link to a Youtube promo video for the product. Here's the link to their site.

http://www.fieldcontrols.com/
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sure looks like

an Effikal to me, Field must have bought the rights to it.
    Thanks for the link Mark!

Dave
  • SteveT
    SteveT Member Posts: 10
    Options
    switch

Why not just turn the boiler off?
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Options
    A boiler that has always sat at 140 - 160

and then goes cold will most likely leak at all its seals.

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,040
    Options
    liability

Anytime you install a component or appliance that is not tested and listed for use with that specific appliance, there is a transfer of liability or an assumption of risk on the part of the installer and the wholesaler. You can reduce that risk by getting a letter from the mfr. of the boiler approving the devicebut good luck with that. Just understand that just because products are made does not mean it is always a good idea to use them. In this case, ask yourself, if this was such a good idea, why don't all the mfrs. approve them or even ship them with their units the way many gas mfr.s do? Or, why don't the mfrs. offer automatic vent dampers as a listed option? Contact their technical services dept.
    Bob
  • Unknown
    Options

i have cast iron boiler i run every other day for hot water & temps vary widely between firings. no leaks. i've read condensation in cold boiler may promote a corrosion problem.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    If

the manufacturers and standard-setting bodies approve certain devices for retrofit use, which may or may not involve certain prerequisites (such as redundant gas valve when using a damper on an atmospheric gas boiler) they should so state in their instructions. If they don't, I'd be wary.

Every stack damper instruction sheet I've seen states that such use is permitted. Same with spark-ignition upgrades (as Honeywell Y8610 series) and replacement oil burners and gas power burners.

Many boiler manufacturers offered stack dampers on their oil-fired boilers during the first couple energy crises. But they cost a few bucks, so people quit buying them when oil prices went down. That helped put Flair out of business IIRC. Also, when used with older non-flame-retention burners, the dampers tended to get sooted up and stick, which resulted in a no-heat call. This issue could be dealt with by specifying that such dampers only be used with flame-retention burners.

I still have the Flair Stack Pack that came with my Burnham V-14. It has needed to be lubricated a couple times but otherwise works well.

"Steamhead"

• Unknown
    Options
    Where you been Frank?

mark schofield posted that link yesterday.

Dave
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    That was

the direct link to the video, instead of going thru Field's site.

• RonWHC
    RonWHC Member Posts: 232
    Options
    A vent damper

on a newer oil fired boiler may, or may not, pay for itself or compensate for potential, and actual, maintenance/replacement costs.

New flame retention burners have very small openings, (unlike wide open atmospheric gas units) which impede off cycle draft loss thru the burner, & up the stack. A properly installed, & adjusted, barometric further reduces stack losses.

Want to reduce standby losses. Look at how the Euros insulate their boilers. Add some insulation where you can. A few dollars of pipe insulation around the boiler will help too.
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
    Options

Thanks for all the help. I'm proposing the Field damper to the HO in the AM.
This discussion has been closed.