Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Man from Nantucket (Dan H.)

Options
2»

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Whoa ...I ama thinking these are the tools of a Craftsman...

Painting his tools yellow right in front of him is NOT GOING to set Well with him.

Especially when the tools are his stock in trade in day to day work.

I think it offensive . Dan might pass it off as Laughable especially when it was done in Front of his eyes as it were , still. .... that really is not showing much consideration

for a Master Craftsman's tools.....
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Options
    Haven't heard that used for a long time!

The moniker "Buster"!...My Irish dad cussed people like the sailor he once was!
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Leave it to Author Dan

to use the perfect word to jab someone verbally in the chest with a pointed finger while maintaining the boundrys of good taste. He has good cause to be miffed. (I wonder what the origins of the word "Buster" are?) This fellow would do well to come clean and apologize, and set things right. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Bick Bickford
    Bick Bickford Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Actually

• Brad White_185
    Brad White_185 Member Posts: 265
    Options
    Coward

Pete kicked his own and I doubt would lay down were the situation reversed.

Now, unless you are at Bickford and Co. in Kansas, might you too be "borrowing" a bit?

I have to ask.
  • Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Options
    Huh?

Kicked his a$$?
    All he did, and you too, is show his own ignorance.
  • Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
    Options
    Humbly submitted.

When I taught high school it broke my heart when I came across plagiarism. But not once could I say it was a truly malicious act: rather it was the simple meeting of stupid and lazy. People just don't understand the gravity of plagiarism- maybe because in this age of it's so easy to do.

I certainly don't want to appear to be excusing this guy, nor would I suggest that you all give him a pass, but in my slim opinion I doubt this moron will respond to phone calls and emails the way you intend him to. Though it may be temporarily gratifying to give him an earful, the law of unintended consequences says it could make matters worse. A blunt, one paragraph _letter_ from a _lawyer_ will get him up to speed with the seriousness of what he's done, and quick.

In the meantime, while this dope has stolen himself some classy window dressing, it sounds like he's an otherwise lousy businessman (no VM, not answering calls). Time wounds all heels.

My $0.02,
    Patrick North
  • Kevin O. Pulver_2
    Kevin O. Pulver_2 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Use your real name \"Pete\"

or admit you're a coward. Dan's ideas may be inspired by the writings of men who are dead, but the words are fresh and are his alone. He could have simply reprinted the old books, but he certainly wouldn't have pretended to write them himself by putting his own name on them and they wouldn't have been as coherent as what he gave us. Your arguement is very poor and you're ashamed to sign your name to it. Kevin
  • Matt Clina
    Matt Clina Member Posts: 90
    Options

I just submitted a comment to this guys website, but like the rest, he will just delete it.

I'm sure this kind of thing happens all the time, but what gets me about this one, is that he intentionally put "by Dan Capoziello" above each section that he stole. He wasn't just trying to pad his website with information, he was deliberately trying to impress people that he wrote it himself.

When Dan (the good one) posted this on his website, even he cited the source, and the source was his own book.

The Lost Art of Steam Heating - just words?

"Now that's HeatingHelp you can Xerox!"
  • Kevin O. Pulver_2
    Kevin O. Pulver_2 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    The logical conclusion

of the line of thinking of "Pete" (the anonymous coward)is this: Since none of us invented any of the words in our English language, nor even one letter of the alphabet- nothing we write is really "original" and therefore the concept of plagiarism does not exist. Even "Pete's" name does not really belong to him in any way that would imply individual rights or priveleges. Therefore, if you were to apply for credit cards in his name, or use his name to write checks, "Pete" would be perfectly consistent and say it's OK by him. Kevin
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Gentleman

No doubt, Pete and Bick are the same guy who is sitting at home getting his immature jollys that he's getting people worked up.

He's not serious, just bored and stupid. His med's are kicking in and he's bored.

Time to get out of bed and back to work Dude.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • GLENN_14
    GLENN_14 Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Let's go back to work

Just an observation here. Sometimes the hoopla overpowers the problem.... If Dan want's to go after the guy let him. It is "HIS" problem to solve. Complaining here about it won't solve the problem. I was once told by a wise old man not to complain to those who can do nothing to solve a problem, because it is just whining at that point. By the way, I agree that the guy deserves to be slapped but just go do it and lets get on with more important things here.
  • Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Options
    Whining

I agree Glenn that there's little that we can do from here and it's definitely Dan's battle not mine. However since I live in Iowa and Dan is somewhere in New York we can't sit down and discuss this over a few cold ones, much as I'd like to be there for him. Luckily this forum provides a place to voice opinions and feelings so if the Wallies decide to solve a few world problems, or just show support for someone we consider a friend we can do so. And you always have options too. You don't have to read this particular thread if you don't want to.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Perspective.

Glenn, when I have a problem, I go to my friends and ask for help. They do the same with me when they have a problem. If fact, that's when you find out whether someone actually is your friend. I've learned this after 58 years.

I remember once here on the Wall when a guy from England had his tools stolen. We raised money to replace his tools.

We also raise money to fight breast cancer on this site. We send holiday gifts to kids who live in shelters. We've raised money to support a friend who was out of work after a serious injury. We help each other.

I look at my friends' problems as my problems, and the people who know me know that this is true. I have used the power of this community to help others, and other people have used it to help others, and that's what we're all about, Glenn.

And as far as getting on with more important things, I don't think there are many things more important than helping a friend in need.

I thank my friends for helping me with this situation.
    Retired and loving it.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Options
    Just rallying for the cause

Us Wallies have responded en masse to this thread,cause all of us consider Dan a brother. Others always plagarize, copy,tear down because of their own narcissism and jealousy. Any number of us could have "been" Dan, but we didn't. I for one would not have caught up with what I missed in 10 yrs. away from hydronics without this site.
  • GLENN_14
    Options
    NO PROBLEM HELPING THOSE IN NEED

Dan.
    Helping those in need is a very nobel thing to do. This site does a lot to help, but it seems to me that sometimes it is also used as a weapon. This is an example of it being used as a weapon. You have all these loyal people who are willing to go out and do battle on your behalf. Were you wronged by the other guy. Yes. Should you be upset about this. Yes. Should all these people go out and batter this guy for you????
    I think that in your 58 years you would learn that the best way to deal with a problem is to confront it head on. If the guy won't answer a call, registered mail from a competent attorney would probably work well. So you can commiserate here to your hearts content, But time would be better served by confronting the problem directly.
    Using this site as a weapon degrades it's value as a whole for the industry. Note how many Manufacturers stay away from this site because of legal and other issues. Your site..... Your call..... just my opinion.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Glenn,

I've done all of those things. How could you assume that I haven't?

And if someone stays away from this site because of legal and other issues, well, that's that person's choice.

I think the site does a great job. You disagree and that's fine. Thanks for your opinion.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Maine Doug_68
    Maine Doug_68 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Copyright laws

Since we have come this far, if you are interested, here is Chapter 5 of the US laws. I assume the offending web site has been copied page by page to preserve it before it disappears.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html#502
  • Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    Options

I have been watching this thread with interest and decided it is time to chime in. For me, since learning from this site and updating my system, steam heat is a hobby, not a profession. My background is business and recently, intellectual property law as it relates to the internet.

This is what I would do:

1. Send a registered letter (and unregisterd letter) with a cease and desist warning to remove the material from the web site. Or, if feeling charitable, modify the content to recognize the true author with a link to heatinghelp.com. Writing the ISP has no legal value.

2. If nothing happens, think seriously of whether you want to spend the money to take legal action. You will unquestionably win...but you may never collect a nickel if the guy has no money.

My experience is that the content will disappear shortly upon receipt of the cease and desist letter.

My gut feeling is that this guy isn't smart enough to understand that copyright violation is theft. I doubt it was malicious, just ignorant. If he removes the material then that should be the end of it. I would have a very different feeling if Dan's content appeared on www.thisoldhouse.com or a "real" web site. But a writer must protect his/her copyright, otherwise the incentive to create will cease.

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • GLENN_14
    Options
    ASSUME

Dan,
    I never assumed that you did not do these things. I was just stating that those were the proper things to do. You obvoisly are upset about the issue and rightfully so. I am just questioning using this site as a weapon which you are doing based on the fact that you have already taken the other steps. Your site. Your weapon. My opinion
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks, Steve.

The challenge in this case is that the guy isn't showing a legitimate mailing address and he doesn't answer the phone. I'm working with the site to have it removed. I've sent them a copy of the registered copyright.

The reason why I have formally copyrighted all of my books is because of this sort of thing. Anyone can copyright material by just writing the word copyright along with the date and their name. But when you register it it allows you to take the person to court, and if you win, that person has to pay your legal fees.

I'm talking about this because it's very easy to lose your rights if you don't step up when someone is stealing your work. If anyone doesn't understand that, then I don't understand them.
    Retired and loving it.
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    You nailed it, Dan.

That's what this place is all about - helping people. Whether it's a heating, money, personal, or any other kind of problem, the Wallies are all here for each other, and for the public, and I dare say most of us would do anything humanly possible to help someone here.

Dan has personally helped me on more than one occasion, and I would always consider it an honor, and a responsibility, to return the favor.

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Glenn,

you are trying my patience.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    Options

You are 100% correct. If you are lazy and don't protect your copyright, you cloud your rights.

Keep up the good work.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Paul Fredricks_5
    Paul Fredricks_5 Member Posts: 132
    Options

Good luck Dan. To me it seems like it's not worth too much time to deal with this small bug in a world of elephants, but it is your livelihood and you are good at what you do. I'm sure you'll do what needs to be done.

Good luck.
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)
    Dave Yates (GrandPAH) Member Posts: 281
    Options
    Having just gone down that same rabitt-hole...

LookSmart and HighBeam on-line search engines have been stealing my copyrighted works - and selling them. It took me several years to get it stopped & only when legal action was pending.

Knowing you as well as I do, it floors me that anyone would stoop so low as to steal when you'd have no doubt given him permission to use the works with nothing more than aknowledging the source. Your generousity in helping others is legendary.

You might give Matt Michele a call. He had to deal with someone who not only stole his works, they were publishing them as original works.
  • GLENN_14
    Options
    john some food for thought

By puting this guys blog on this site it probably got 10 times more traffic than it deserved. There are advertisers on the site. I wonder if the guy made more money today because of the uproar over this.... Just a thought
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Good.

He'll be sending the money to me.
    Retired and loving it.
  • hootananny
    hootananny Member Posts: 8
    Options
    LOL!

touche!
    the Hooter
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options

Dan- Just a suggestion. I searched the Mass. web site. This fellow dosent appear to hold any state licenses which I think someone else pointed out above. Not a plumber or a gas fitter an oil burner or refrigeration tech or pipefitter is the man from Nantuckett.

And yes Massachusetts the most regulated state in the country has all these licenses and more.

Plus, you not supposed to advertise without putting your license # in the ad

I would contactthe Dept. of Public safety which covers the oil burner, refrig, and pipefitter licenses and the Board of Plumbers and gas fitters which is self explanatory.

Goo Luck!

Ed
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Ed

I also did the same and also came up empty.

This guy seems to be running under the radar.

Scott

• Jamie Pompetti_2
    Jamie Pompetti_2 Member Posts: 62
    Options

Dan!

You are the man. And that comment is why I think your so great.

The Pompetti's got your back ; )

• TommyOil_3
    TommyOil_3 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    So much

For radar
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_2
    Options
    same here!

Mr. Unlisted far as I can determine. Spent time trying every avenue I could think of to connect the missing dots. But, that's just another telling clue about the character's character.
  • Hvacman
    Hvacman Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Dan

Dan, Keep up the good work, the majority here are behind you. Objective reasoning never works when those who criticize you have no objectivity.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks.

I get by with a little help from my friends. And my friends know they can always count on me.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Paul Rohrs_7
    Paul Rohrs_7 Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Wow.

Kind of amazing really how bold people are.

Dan, your work will stand the test of time. This guy will not.

Any updates or anything the masses can do to help?

A friend in need is a friend in deed.

Paul
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 396
    Options

it just kills me that when you play by the rules anyone can sue you for anything and you can win the case but loose money like crazy. someone who just hides behind the curtains like this can ride it out for ever and claim bankruptcy in the end and Dan ends up with a hole in his wallet and no justice. Makes me just want to smack somebody. Course then they would sue. :)
  • Scott Kneeland
    Scott Kneeland Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Helping a friend

Dan I am sorry to see this, it is obvious that this guy doesn't have the talent or professionalism that you have. (Hehe) Wouldn't it be COOL if about 50 of us crazy heating guys showed up on his door step. I hope this all works out to your advantage. We are all here for you.

• Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    RipOff

He obviously did not think anyone here would see the blog. He should either take off the article or give full credit- monetary or otherwise- to Dan. And Dan, by the way, you are in good company. Thomas Edison was looted many times in spite of patents. How about Joe Biden? Thank goodness you have loyal readers who know the score.
This discussion has been closed.