Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CSST \"turbulence\"

Tell the LP tec to stick to things he knows and understands.

Yes, obviously CSST does have an inherently high pressure drop when compared to smooth walled steel pipe, but it is virtually impossible to create air pockets due to tumbling. The manufacturer is quite aware of the inherent pressure drop problem and has incorporated it into their design charts/manuals.

Make darned sure that the CSST is properly grounded and jumpered across any brass valves for lightning protection.

Keep looking. You will find the reason for the lock out. It is NOT the CSST.

ME

Comments

• A.C.
    A.C. Member Posts: 4

Having a problem with a fairly recent install of a Buderus G234 w/Logamatic reset running L.P. The boiler kicked off about 5 times over the winter for reasons which are still a mystery. After going over every detail on the entire system, the Propane Co. tech. says that the use of Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) which was used for the gas supply creates turbulance , or as he said "causes the gas to tumble making air pockets That's why your boiler keeps kicking off". I really wanted to smack him, after installing 1000's of feet of this stuff this is the 1st time I'm hearing of this. Of course the Gastite people say there is no problem with the product. Anybody ever hear of such a thing?
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524

Never heard that, What happens when it lock's up?
  • A.C.
    A.C. Member Posts: 4

The last callback the boiler was sooted up prior to that the pilot was out. The sooting problem was the result of an addition of a basement dehumidification system which created a negative air pressure in the mechanical room. Had to add a fan in a can.
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 284
    csst

never heard of gas tumbling but......the sizing of the supply piping is very important. There is a tendency when using csst to "downsize" the piping,this is for gas and for propane it seems to happen more,that piping is too small.You need a heat load calculation,and a professional to size the csst so that you do not have problems with keeping boiler running.
  • PeterGriffin
    PeterGriffin Member Posts: 79

Just to add to that last part, the Gastite sizing charts are available for free on their website for various pressure drops and for both Propane and NG.
  • Andy Morgan_2
    Andy Morgan_2 Member Posts: 147
    LP

Is it a new install, meaning new storage tank? I have had issues with new tanks not being purged properly before filling causing similar problems.

Andy Morgan

Riverside Mechanical, LLC
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    YES to Tumbling

I think what the tech is trying to tell you is that CSST tubing creates turbulences.

sure that will happen and sure it create "airless" pockets or areas of very low gas pressure, thats what a turbulent or eddy does/is.

will it affect the boiler, I doubt it! but it does happen. ever hear the noise an open line makes? you are hearing turbulence.

added: it can't cause 'air pockets" cause there's NO air in the lines, but it will cause small vaccuum pockets.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    pressures

Did you by chance do a flow/lockup with all appliances running and then just the boiler? Also, is the regulator in such a spot that it can "breath". If the diaphram on the regulator get's plugged with snow and ice it can create problem's also.
  • Tim_41
    Tim_41 Member Posts: 153
    New Tank?

If its a new tank, moisture can be an issue if on the first delivery they did not put a bit of methonal in it.
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    little harsh???

mark?

you need to read up a bit on what turbulences are and how they are created.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Pressures

I think this may be it. Have you checked the pressure at the boiler with all appliances in the house running? Could be something is using more fuel than planned, or something is out of whack with fuel supply.

Have also seen the ice problem. LP seems to be problematic with mod/cons because of their sensitivity to the fuel and air supplies.

Yes, CSST has more turbulence and can whistle because of it, but there should be no air pockets in the gas line.
This discussion has been closed.