Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fuel opinions needed

Options
Which will cost more in fuel oil, Maintaining a home @ 65 degrees at all times, or going into setback for 8 hours to 60 degrees then bringing it back to setpoint ?

If it takes 45 minutes for the boiler to recover fully, will the times it comes on after the 8 hour setback be less than the time on needed for the boiler to maintain temps ?

Comments

• Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Options
    Setback

If it's not more economical to do the setback than we're being sold a bill of goods by the utility companies!

That said of course there's variables. What are your heat emitters? "bringing it back to setpoint ?" Is this the same 65 degrees? The objects in the room may not warm as quickly and there fore may not be as comfortable for a longer period of time.

Just some thoughts.

• This is for a client of mine. They have steam cast iron rads that heat pretty quickly.
    Maintaining is just keeping things warm that are already warm.
    Recovering from setback, now we have to heat things all over from scratch.
    If you wanted to save money on fuel what would you do ?
  • Rich L.
    Options
    steam rads

Recovering with steam I'd do the setback. Hard proof it's more economical? I haven't got it, just what the gas co.s telling me.

• I have a hard time beleiving what any fuel company will tell me. Especially if what I'm asking can result in them selling less product & making less money.

I need information that is unbiased and factual.

• Besides we're not talking about a steam system that takes a million years for the rads to start to get hot.
    From the time the boiler fires to the time the rads get hot is only 10 minutes. However not from a cold start from setback.
  • Rich L.
    Options

"Especially if what I'm asking can result in them selling less product & making less money."

My utility company gave me big rebates ($3400) for building an energy efficient home and putting in very high efficient heating and cooling equipment. All things that will result in them selling me less product & making less money.

BTW I don't do setback, but I have low temp radiant floors. It would take me days to recover!

• I certainly would not go into any setback for radiant myself. That would just be silly.
    Now that I think about it, I answered my own question. Because the home is poorly insulated I would definetly lower the t-stat. The greater the temp differance the faster the heat transfer. Even though it doesn't take long for the house to recover, it doesn't make sense to heat the outside.
    Thanks for the input
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

When is your setback period?

During the day when everyone is away and solar gain occurs?
This discussion has been closed.