Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Woodstove boiler conversion

Options
that it was to convect up? with the circ on, if the water's traveling too fast through the hex, it won't pick up much heat

Comments

• Dave_128
    Dave_128 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    wood stove boiler conversion

Yeah I know it's not to code, dangerous, etc. etc. blah, blah ,blah so don't bother telling me. I installed a heat exchanger in my 70kbtu wood stove to supplement my rads. I welded it together using 1.5" steel so its' a series of S's about 10"x20" with 3/4 nipples out the back of the stove. Feed had a check valve and the out has temp/press/200degree-150psi blow out manifold. This is all in parallel w/ my rads on the same floor. I fired it up today and in 15 minutes it blew out due to high temp. I was led to believe through convection or magic it would circulate itself. So I turned on the circulator on the oil/furnace and its no longer blowing out but not transferring too much heat. I've got some ideas but would like to hear yours.
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    Options
    you guessed it

magic should have made it work!
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    You probably need

a buffer tank, also be careful about drawing too much heat away with the water, you can create a lot of creosote in the wood stove exhaust. I built a similar log holder- heat exchanger in my fireplace, but I removed it because of the creosote and increased fire hazard. Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Dave_128
    Dave_128 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    gettin closer

i put a surface mounted aqua stat and it kicks the circ on @170/150 seems to be working ok, but only the first rad gets hot and I mean HOT! other ones hardly warm up. the circ runs about 30sec. w/ 1/2" feeds. If i set the stat higher the relief valve blows off.
This discussion has been closed.