Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat refelctor question.

Options
Hi everyone.
in an effort to save energy and preserver heat, i want to install heat reflectors between my radiators and outside wall of the house.

My question is:
Are DIY heat reflector using cardboard and aluminum foil just as effective as something i pick up at a heating supply store which might use galvanized metal or insulation with heat reflecting elements?

Please let me know you thoughts. much appreciated.

Comments

• steve b_32
    steve b_32 Member Posts: 1
    Options

My experience is that homemade reflectors made of cardboard covered with aluminum foil work very well.

If there's enough room between the wall and the radiator you can use foil over foam board (either insulating board or the paper covered board usually used for mounting artwork) and get slightly more insulating value.

For the foil to reflect heat effectively it should be kept shiny, and it must not contact the radiator. Radiant reflectors are the most effective with high temperature radiators (steam radiators or hot water radiators run at maybe 160 degrees or higher).

Before I installed reflectors behind my steam radiators the outside walls would be hot to the touch. Now, the walls behind the reflectors are cool - the heat is going back into the room instead of warming the outdoors.
This discussion has been closed.