Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai all Furnace recall

Options
Derheatmeister
Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
Thank you jack. I,ve called rinnai today and gave them the M/S# off of the furnace. they were very helpful and are sending all the parts.I've made the Customer Aware of the problem and he will not stop using the furnace! Cannot be the "Heat Nazi" again! HM.

Comments

• joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    nice

Well isn't that special of course we just installed two of those......
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    Yes,

I posted that in Heating Alerts yesterday.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    The necessary work involved is...

to remove the front cover of all direct vent wall furnace Energysaver models 431 & 556 (FA-III and WTA models & colors)units installed from 2000 on (Approx 52,000). Remove the Burner Cover Plate and discard it and its gasket. The instructions are detailed and the affected area is fully exposed. The kit provided by Rinnai includes a new burner cover plate, gasket (which is the item in question), new sparker, sparker retainer, sparker cover boot, new screws and a couple other associated parts. It is 30-40 min work. Rinnai is paying the labor and providing the kit. Rinnai is paying labor for this.

If an affected unit shows deterioration of the heat exchanger...This could happen if the gasket has failed, which could allow the flame to "focus" on that area and deform or crack the top left corner area of the cut-out, which the new cover plate attaches to. I expect that a very, very small percentage of units will require this. Certainly check it out carefully.

Rinnai Energysaver Models 551, 1001, 201, 263, 1004 are not affected. No Rinnai water heaters are affected.

One helpful hint on the install which I will offer. The gas line is attached to a cast plate and is secured to the burner area. This piece holds the four orifices and has a "D" shaped gasket which is also provided in the kit. It is not necessary to remove this orifice holding piece from the gas line. What I do is remove the small limit which sits in front of the gas line secured with one screw to the lower chassis. Remove the two screws holding the cast part and rotate it and the gas line out of the way. Do the other work and when you reassemble, whether you have done this my way or dismounted the part, you have to take your time and make sure the locator pin next to the orifices drops into place. This can be a little "fiddly", but it just has to be lined up properly and it will drop right in. If you do remove the orifice holder from the gas line be aware that there is an O-ring on the gas line. The O-ring will likely stay in place, but...I know the first time I took one apart the O-ring dropped out and at that time I didn't know there was an o-ring, so I had a heck of a time until one of the guys slapped me along side the head and showed me where the O-ring had fallen. Other than that, this is simple. It is, in fact, so simple that we don't want the homeowner doing it!

Please check the air filter for cleanliness and if it is dirty, tell the owner, for their fuel economy and comfort the importance of cleaning this filter.

A detailed, exploded parts drawing is at www.ductlessheating.com. Select the model 431 or 556 and click on the blue window for the parts breakdown. Post questons and I'll try to help as I can.
  • Derheatmeister
    Options
    Bump

Need to read in AM
  • Derheatmeister
    Options

On a recall like this , should the manufacture not try to make contact with the consumer that is in Danger? Heatmeister.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    They are....

This has been all over the press in New England. As well, any consumers registered units are being contacted. You have to remember that only about +/-10% of purchases are registered with all manuf.

Rinnai has polled distributors for information on who the contractors purchasing goods are. Contractors are being contacted where the info is available and trying to contact the homeowners that way also.

Do you all keep model and serial numbers on purchased and installed equipment? Do you register warranties for your customers?
  • Derheatmeister
    Options

Yes,On all of my Boilers Which are about 95% of my installs,Well from now on I'll Register this myself, On this install i filled out a card and left it up to the customer. So it maybe still with them!. "F"(the supply house) were i purchased the unit did not know about this and did not take it that serious until i Stressed it!!! Thank you again ! Richard from Heatmeister
This discussion has been closed.