Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

commercial air question

GMcD Member Posts: 477
I don't think there would be any exemption for part time use, unless your local building inspector was a kind hearted, reasonable, logical soul...right, and monkeys might fly out of my butt.

I tried that reasoning with a community centre, as well as a small kitchen in an elementary school way back in my misspent youth, no-go. Cooking food for "public consumption" with a residential range is deemed a "commercial cooking application", and cooking with a commercial range, for private consumption in a non-residential installation is still deemed to require the full commercial cooking range, hood, fire suppression, and NFPA-96 circus.

We even had one local "authority" require the full NFPA-96 installation over the 15 residential stoves in the Home Economics Classrooms of a new High School we designed....try explaining that "extra" to the School District Secretary Treasurer! Sheet metal Contractor was happy....all that welded 16 gauge duct....


  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Brad White or others commer. air quest.

    Buddy of mine is doing HVAC for local volunteer firehouse. Kitchen is 12x16x10' high. Two outside block walls, no windows.

    Room needs about 200 CFM as a room. Here's the thing: They are putting in 3-3' commercial 6 burner stoves, with the big hood to cover it all. Occasional use, typical volunteer firehouse events, etc. I'm not sure how to calc gains to size supplies to this room. W/O stoves, you are talking an 8". To handle the occasional shindig, I'm at a loss.

  • GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 477
    Commercial cooking installation

    All the best of intentions will be skewered by the local Code Authority requirements. In my neck of the woods, as soon as the Building Inspector sees a "commercial cooking range", he will require the full NFPA-96 Commercial Exhaust and Make-up air system. I've had occasions where even two residential ranges were used in a community centre, but the local Authority deemed it a "commercial application" and wanted the whole NFPA-96 circus.

    My advise is to check with your local Code Authority and he should provide direction on what kind of range exhaust system and possible make-up air you'll need. gas ranges need combustion air just like any other fuel fired appliance.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    good catch

    and duly noted, Thanks Geoff. I wonder if there is exemptions for "part time use" or firehouse duty.
  • Keith_8
    Keith_8 Member Posts: 399
    2 seperate systems

    The HVAC system requiremenst will not be effected by the installation of this commmercial hood.
    The hood will have it's own make up air system, grease duct and fire supression systems that needs to be dealt with.

    The company that is supplying/ installing the hood should be consulted.

    Let me know if you need a hand. We have done several systems in CT in the last few years. I have some good venders and subs that do this stuff every day.

  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083

    Keith, And I still owe you a phone call..
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    you get it

    Geoff. I'm saving this thread..good info.
This discussion has been closed.