Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

testing new igniters

Options
get th srings 1/2 inch apart I use an aligator clip on one spring to get the distance to the other spring, connect it to 120V in and see if it goes 8 minutes without failing.

Comments

• j demidio
    j demidio Member Posts: 1
    Options
    trying to test new igniters

im trying to find out how to test new igniters i called beckett they said i need an oscilator?? wondering if any one can help me out i know all about the screwdriver however that doesnot tell you if its putting out an intermittent spark or not just wondering thank you anty help is appreciated
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    A ignition transformer tester

is the best thing as it tells you the output. Barring that, here are a few test. These work on the old laminate iron core trqnsformers and the new electronic ones as well.

From one spring to the other should be no more than 2000 ohms. They are also center tapped, so from each spring to ground should be 1/2 the read from spring to spring, and should be within 10% of each other. i.e. spring to spring 1500 ohms, one spring to ground 800, the other 700 = bad transformer as they are not within 10% of each other..it may still work , but it is on the way to failure.

As to whether it is interrupted ignition, that is controlled by the protector relay, the older 8184 series ran the ignitor the entire time, the 7184 series shuts it down after about 45 seconds.
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    great but don't

i was showing a guy how to test these once ouch! i had what i thought was a plastic 5 in. level nope alum. well the ignitor was good but be sure you put white wire to nuetural and blue to orange off relay older homes without proper grounds will kill these ignitors if not wired correctly. i do have a tester from sid harvey that works great. royboy
This discussion has been closed.