Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

looking for parts/identify valve

billygoat22
billygoat22 Member Posts: 124
Did a boiler last year or so and now neighbor across the street called because we're "the boiler experts".

He has several radiators that are leaking water out the radiator valves (two pipe steam). They all likely need repair, since he has to add water every week.

The rads have a P inside a football shape, no manuf name.I have below a picture I drew of the internal valve parts. They don't have a packing gland or nut like most I see, or a packless bellows.

It seems there is a shoulder that butts to the opening in cap (that screws into valve body) that appears to be the only sealing surface. There is no evidence of a washer or ring, house is 1930s vintage.

Any idea how to seal these? There is a spring that pulls the parts together, but two of the three I looked at were still loose even with the screw tightened all the way up. String packing won't work in there,either.

I noticed downstairs an alternating receiver and the air vent that went with it are the only vent setup at the boiler. There are vents at the end of main, but no vents but the one near receiver at boiler.

I assume that vent closes if steam were to get to it? One return line dips below water level so the rads on one side house do not heat well. I could connect the two lines very easily but don't want to create another problem.

Thanks for any input.

[IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c153/billygoat22/valve.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Pittsburgh Engineering, maybe?

That's the only manufacturer of Vapor hardware I know of so far whose name starts with P- yes, the central dry return vent and alternating receiver mark this as a Vapor system.

If the P-inside-football logo is on the radiators, it probably means "Pierce", from the Pierce, Butler & Pierce company.

Try to get back there and take some pics. Then contact Tunstall for valve parts- I'm told they can make repair parts for just about anything.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • billygoat22
    billygoat22 Member Posts: 124

Thanks, Steamhead.

I must apologize, though, I believe after looking through my books that it was a boiler return trap.

The HO called back saying the boiler hasn't needed any water, but it was warmer this weekend. (he can't hear the valves leaking). He's not married to the valves so we'll just replace them, due to the difficulty of fonding parts.

Tunstall does have some ss thermostatic elements that would be good for replacements in the traps.

This discussion has been closed.