Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replace jacket insulation

Options
spt87
spt87 Member Posts: 13
Hi,

Any thoughts on replacing jacket insulation on a hot water boiler? Is this just normal, off the shelf fiberglass insulation or special stuff for higher heat use.

Comments

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Email ...

The manufacturer and see if they will sell a jacket for the boiler. Depending on the make and age...I'm guessing they may have one sitting around, still in the box unless you're looking for an ancient something.

Not an easy job I'll admit....but it looks right, as opposed to stuffing it to the scuppers with fiberglass.

As a side note....maybe this isn't such a bad thing. I know that one of the most common complaints I get after a new install is how much cooler the basement is. FWIW...Chris
  • hotwired
    hotwired Member Posts: 24
    Options
    update to question

On another note, what is a good way to insulate a steam boiler without getting a new jacket? Mine doesn't have any lettering left. The asbestos jacket has been completely removed and it is BARE STEEL firing away down there ..... we did insualte the steam PIPES with the fg (white / yellow) but being a layman I'm not sure what the best approach is to the boiler .... is it okay to just leave it?? Can I simply, sloppily, wrap it in fiberglas insulation or someting of that nature? Kaowell wrap?? I can use common sense, but I have ENOUGH common sense to know I should ask someone with some experience before I do what my untrained brain tells me is the right thing.

Thanks much.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Worked for me

After 14 years the insulation inside the jacket on my Burnham V75 steam boiler was falling apart so I just used some unfaced fiberglass insulation. I notice the boiler is retaining it's heat a lot better, 4-5 hours after the boiler shuts down the boiler output pipe is still very hot. All my pipe is insulated but I left a bit of pipe bare right at the boiler outlet and up at the main so I can check how fast the steam gets up there.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • hotwired
    hotwired Member Posts: 24
    Options
    great!

Thanks! That's what I was wondering .... can you simply use plain ol' wall insulation and keep it on with wire or something like that .... Sounds like you CAN.  You are talking about the plain ol' "Pink Panther"  FG insulation, correct?

thanks again.
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I just spoke with......

this company from Long Island, NY, to order some fiberglass pipe insulation for a steam boiler we fixed. Their prices were great and they also make custom insulation blankets for boilers! Very helpful bunch of people and very good pricing:

IDC

800-327-8432

www.idccorp.com
This discussion has been closed.