Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to calculate EDR for convector radiator?

Comments

• Leah Frances
    Leah Frances Member Posts: 11

Since consensus is that I need a new boiler (http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=54298) I began looking at the total EDR of my house.
    It was easy to find a chart for our tube radiators, but not the convectors-style.
    They are 32" long, about 9" from the floor. They are 6" wide by 6" deep, 3 sections bolted together.
    Attached photos show front, from below, end, and middle...
    Any guesstimates?
    Thanks,
    Nelson
  • Can't anyone answer this?

I can't believe no one can give guidance on this question. There was a similar question recently and the answer was "go buy the book". I have what appear to be 3 of the same convectors (different lengths) and in calculating my EDR for boiler replacement had to settle for a guess for these as they simply were not available on-line anyhwere (Burnham has a great document available, but it does not show these). To buy a technical book on sizing which will be used by a homeowner for one quick reference in this day and age of shared and available information (or even in earlier ones, my wife used to be a librarian with the Free Library of Philadelphia and they always had a policy of providing quick reference before the the digital age) is not a practical answer, and seems to be beneath the idea of sharing information here. If someone sent a provate answer, I apologize for most of this, but stll you would think that was information that could be shared.
  • kpc_9
    kpc_9 Member Posts: 11
    never saw..

the thread...until now. How tall? My Burnham Heating helper has 6 1/2" convectors w/ a cabinet length of 33 1/2"...depending on the height 18"-23, 20"-25,24"-28.9, 26"-30.4,32"-32.9....hope this helps...kpc
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Looks like

a Utica Cast Iron Convector. as found on page 261 of Dans book EDR (Every Darn Radiator). (Doesnt everyone have this gem of a reference book?) Total Sq Ft depends on Height of enclosure. If the enclosure is 20" tall the sq ft is 22.3. 24 inch tall the sq ft =23.9. 32 in tall=25.7 and so on. You then pick your EDR based on water temperature. For example 180 F water = 170 EDR times the sq ft of the convector. For example the 24 in tall convector the sq ft (23.9) times the EDR (170) = 4063 btuh. I hope this helps. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Nelson_5
    Nelson_5 Member Posts: 4

Thanks that info...The outer cabinet is 22" by 40"...Also, I have one-pipe steam, so I was looking for the square foot EDR based on steam. Looks like 23 would be a good guess? (and that's all I really want anyway!) Most of my other radiators (18 sections, 4 tube, 19" high) seem to be about 40 sq. ft.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    22 x 40 would be

26.3 sq ft. Steam EDR of course is 240. total BTU would be 6312 btuh. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.