Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ultra & Zone Valves

Options
a lot of zones and circulators...thinking of trying to save watts. and speed the swap over from oil during the winter...kpc

Comments

• kevin coppinger_15
    kevin coppinger_15 Member Posts: 35
    Options
    has anyone....

ever used zone valve on a W-Mc ultra to zone multiple heat zones? I have a job upcoming in a tight area and am toying w/ the idea...5 zone valves and a sep. circ fo the indirect....kpc
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    On one I piped

right from the Ultra to a row of 5 zone valves. a high head Taco on the return piping to the boiler. I used a 1-1/4" Honeywell PAB on the end of the zone headers.

Really if you can assure flow through the boiler under all conditions do you need primary secondary? return temperatures to the boiler can be much lower with out that P/S blending interaction.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Single Circ

I could be wrong , but I think the blending action is essentially the same whether you use a dP bypass or a hydro separator. The beauty to me is that you can eliminate one circulator and all that extra piping/relay/isoflanges associated with the hydro separator. Caleffi's dP valves are very nice, though it would be nice to have a 1" version. The 1-1/4" is a large unit. My former employer has been designing Vitodens systems this way since they first became available. It can be done on every Vitodens except the 8-32. Eliminating the hydro separator can save a decent chunk of $$ on the install.
  • mike faust
    mike faust Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Ultra gas or oil?

Is this piping arrangement acceptable by weil mac? Is does save $$ on install, but...? Is this Ultra gas or Ultra oil? Not trying to be a wise guy just curious.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    The Weil Ultra manual reads

"Each Ultra boiler is shipped with a circulator. The circulator has sufficient head to handle boiler pressure drop plus a reasonable pressure drop in the connecting piping."
    Page 10 of the Control Supplement

The Boiler Manual page 13 states "All piping methods shown in this manual use primary/ secondary connection to the boiler loop. These designs ensure proper floew through the Ultra boiler. for other piping methods, consult your local W-M rep or refer to separate Ultra boiler piping guides."

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.