Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex tubing advice?

Options
Do you have to/or are you going to leave the radiators? This is investment property? correct. If I am correct loose the radiators, install baseboard and let your tenant enjoy heat from most areas of the room. Tenants happy! Happy tenants mean ability to charge more rent! Did I remember to say charge more rent? By the way charge more rent.

I am sorry I did not address the Pex issue. the Pex issue depends upon the amount of baseboard an individual baseboard loop or zone has. The amount of btu's a 1/2" Pex tube can transfer is obviously different then the amount a 5/8" or 3/4" Pex tube can provide. You should also have a professional do a heat loss on the properties in question.

RLHJ

Comments

• Eric L._2
    Eric L._2 Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Pex tubing advice?

Hey all , here I go again. With the rising cost of EVERYTHING I think I'm going to have to split up the heat in my little 3 family house. I'm going to have to convert my one pipe steam to two much smaller hot water boilers sized by load calc. I am a very handy person so running the supply and return lines in pex should be doable for me. My question is what size pex do I run? I have all old CI rads with 1 1/4 steel going to them. I'm not sure of the conversion for water flow instead of steam. Thanks in advance.

Eric
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    pex tubing

if it was me doing this job and I was going to replace the cast iron with copper baseboard i woud use viega fostapex tubing (pex pipe with aluminum) to go from the boiler to the baseboard and back. 3/4" fostapex should work for you.

you also could use regular radiant pex tubing but when running high temp water thru it the pipe will need to be supported alot and the radiant pex tubing will expand and grow.

Viega fostapex expands very little almost like copper tubing.
  • Home Depot Employee
    Home Depot Employee Member Posts: 329
    Options
    One pipe?

First you must decide if you can even use the CI radiators. You mention you have one pipe steam so, if there are not suitable taps on the radiator to connect returns, your only choice is to pull them and install a different heating medium.
This discussion has been closed.