Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Propylene Glycol use with a Buderus GC124

Options
John_108
John_108 Member Posts: 21
I could not get through to Buderus before they closed for the day and was wondering if they had any problems with using proplyene glycol in the system.

I have a customer whose boiler is in an out building. The previous boiler cracked when the heat went out and I don't want it to happen again. They are building a new structure and are going to insulate it and we are insulating all of the piping but I want some added protection.
This is the first time I had to even think of using glycol and I don't want to make a mistake. If it can be used what ratio should be used.

Thanks for any help.

John

Comments

• Russell L. Hill Jr.
    Options
    Glycol

Glycols molecular structure is so small that you have to be concerned with even the smallest detail.
    Yes it protects you from freezing but if by chance you have anything in the system that has a lesser than best seal/connection/joint, glycol will find it’s way out. Also pay mind to the Ph of the system Glycol tends to raise the acid content of a systems fluid media.

RLHJ
  • Drew_2
    Drew_2 Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Propylene Glycol Use

Propylene glycol changes the surface tension of the fluid in the system. If you have leak in the system taht may not be seen when using water, P G will show you where that is.
    I can tell you about Noburst anti freeze because we manufacture it.
    It standard Noburst ( not the AL)consists of PG and a high pH inhibitor package. The reason for the high pH is to buffer the acid that is created as the PG breaks down over time from heating it. As the fluid ages the inhibitor is used up and will need to be replenished if caught before the fluid goes to the acid side of the pH scale. Hope this helps
  • Canadasteam
    Canadasteam Member Posts: 13
    Options
    water glycol systems

John, some boiler manufactures may recommend a decrease in the firing rate of the equipment when using water glycol solutions. Also when picking a circulator for this job take into account that the specific gravity of the solution may be higher than 1 when the system is starting from cold.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.