Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to power multiple zone valves

Al Corelli
Al Corelli Member Posts: 454
I asked this question not even a week ago. I was told that up to 4 thermal heads can be multiplexed onto one "zone".

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    on a radiant manifold for example

I use the Taco zone control module. On one zone I have 3 loops with heat type actuators. Can I power 2 or more actuators from one Taco connection? Or better to custom build a transformer and relays?

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    second guess?

taco should provide amperage & voltage data on the contacts, I hope? this IS standard other places.....
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I see the 80VA

worth of transformer on the 6 zone controller. And I know the current draw of the actuators. I wasn't sure how many actuators could go on one set of terminals below the t-stat connections.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    i'm planning to

use an Omron ZEN programmable relay, taco should look out !

gives me more flexibility.
  • Darrell
    Darrell Member Posts: 303

I've been told by the Taco Rep, and have done so successfully, to jump the related t-stat contacts, observing polairity, on the Taco ZVC so that one t-stat will operate miltiple zonevalves or actuators. No resistors or other magic is needed and the anticiaptor on the T-stat can be set as you would for a single zone valve.

I have to do this frequently when small zones don't get along and turn each other off. I pick a more centrally located T-stat and make it the operative control for multiple small zones.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.