Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I override an Erie Zone valve?

Options
GLENN_14
GLENN_14 Member Posts: 58
YOU CAN TRY MOVING THE ZONE VALVE MANUAL ARM ON THE SIDE OF THE VALVE WHERE THE WIRES CONNECT TO THE HEAD. IF YOU MOVE THE SWITCH AND HOLD IT OPEN MANUALLY FOR A MOMENT THE SYSTEM SHOULD TURN ON AND BEGIN TO SEND HEAT OUT TO THE ZONE. IF THIS DOES NOT WORK, THEN IT MAY BE THAT THE END SWITCH IS BAD. IF THIS TURNS THE SYSTEM ON THEN THE MOTOR MAY BE THE CAUSE. oTHER CAUSES COULD BE THE THERMOSTAT OR A TRANSFORMER ISSUE. BY THE WAY IF YOU ARE RUNNING FIVE ZONES, YOU SHOULD CHECK THE VA (VOLT AMP) RATING OF THE TRANSFORMER. IT MAY NOT BE PROPERLY SIZED AND CAN LEAD TO PREMATURE VALVE FAILURES IF THE POWER SOURCE IS NOT PROPERLY SIZED.... TRY THESE ITEMS FIRST AND GOOD LUCK

Comments

• bonniep
    bonniep Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Can I override an Erie Zone valve?

Is there a way to override a zone valve when there is no obvious override button? I'm trying to determine myself if the valve is bad or if we've got a wiring/thermostat issue. How long do zone valves typically last? We have five heat zones serviced by the boiler and have replaced two in the one year we've been in our house, which is close to five years old. While I'm asking questions, if it is the zone valve that needs replacing, is there a good reference somewhere to help me figure out the best replacement option and is it something a mechanically inclined layperson can (should) attempt on his own?
  • Peter Zelchenko_2
    Peter Zelchenko_2 Member Posts: 35
    Options

I'm doing this right now but I'm no expert. If the valve is open then it is usually the end switch that goes bad. This is the switch that signals the boiler to fire. To check if it is the end switch, hook the red wires together and if the boiler fires it is the end switch. The actuator will pop off the valve by depressing the black button on the side. Take a picture or write down the wiring if a diagram is confusing and replace. This is what I was told for an Erie control valve and I'm not sure of another type. Again I'm just a homeowner. I found 2 not working during this cold snap and will make three we replaced in 6 years
  • Manjacita
    Manjacita Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Is it ok to switch zone valve to manual

I turned the thermostat down to 62 last night and this morning I have no heat in zone 1 (downstairs) of two zones .

It appears to be the zone valve. I noticed you suggested switching the valve to manual.

Can I do this while the system is on?
This discussion has been closed.