Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler/Water Heater

bruhl
bruhl Member Posts: 10
Hello all,
I have a Burnham V8 steam boiler that currently supplies HW directly from the boiler. The family has changed and there is now need for more hot water. It was suggested that I add some storage capacity, and I want to do this.
But I need some guidance. Should I be thinking of an indirect HWH such as the Contender, or storage like the Ultra Coil Booster storage tank? I am not tied to a specific brand and only mention the names as different types of products. I guess I really don't know how they differ.
I have been told that indirect can't be used with a steam system, but I think that was mistaken advice. Especially having seen Norm Harvey's recent work.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
thanks, bruhl.

Comments

• Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684

Question for you bruhl, Your current tankless, what is the problem your having?

The water is not hot enough from the start?
    The hot water gets cooler during a shower?
    The hot water is fine for the first shower but not for the next?
    or
    Have you installed a large capacity bathtub etc,...
    "We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"
  • bruhl

Hello Norm, thanks for the reply. No real problem as yet. My parents were almost 90 when the boiler was done. Their HW needs were minimal and they are deceased now. My son is now living in the house with his family and they have one child with another on the way. I can only speculate that all the laundry, showers, dishes, HW will eventually become an issue. But not as of now. Plus I thought the boiler might have to run less considering the cost of oil is so high. I just want to provide as best I can for this young family.
    bruhl
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684

Having a tankless on that boiler means that its using oil to maintain about 140 in the boiler all the time. If its operating fine to satisfy the demand now, chances are it will be fine even with another baby.

You could save fuel by using an indirect, but that comes with the investment of the tank, piping, and controls. How soon will you see a payback? That I cant tell you.

If your fine with the investment, an indirect will save you something annually in fuel.
    "We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"
  • bruhl

Thanks Norm, knowing that you feel that if the direct boiler supply is adequate now, chances are it will be fine in the future works for me. I know that could change if circumstances change further, and should that happen, I'll deal with it at that time.
    I can't imagine the payback would be reasonable especially since I am taking on a non-existant problem. I guess if it ain't broken, I'll not try and fix it.
    Thanks for your expert guidance.
    bruhl
This discussion has been closed.