Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator to In-Floor Heat

Options
Matt_58
Matt_58 Member Posts: 3
I currently have a hot water radiant heat system in my nearly 100 y/o house. The second story have large standing radiators. The previous owners replaced the first floor radiators with baseboard radiators. I was wondering if there is a way to remove the baseboards on the first floor and replace them with in-floor heat, i.e. pex tubing? My floor joices are open under the first floor. Am I able to close off the old lines to the baseboard and reconfigure the system for in floor heat?

Comments

• Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Options
    Absolutly Matt!

That can certainly be done. There are considerations with in floor radiant such as floor coverings, available floor space (bathrooms and kitchens), water temps, etc. You will need at least a couple of different water temps to run your radiators on second floor with the IFR on the main level. You need to start off with accurate heat loss calculations on as room by room basis and design the installation accordingly.

A word of caution, There are a lot of suppliers on the internet claiming this is an easy DIY job. Don't be fooled by the claims. If you want to be happy with and proud of the job after it's completed get a professional involved from the start. While it's not cheap it will save you money and frustration in the long run.

Good luck, Rich L
This discussion has been closed.