Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Estimate for a heat pump system...

Options
Dave Yates (PAH)
Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
So, I'm in the basement with the HO to check the breaker panel for the power we'll need to run the mini-split multi-zone Inverter heat pump system he's chosen. Plunking down more than 10 G's hasn't caused him to flinch, so this sale's already in the bag.

I spy - a fairly new steam boiler & had seen the rads upstairs were one-pipe slenderized tube style. Near boiler piping is an abhorrent mess. Sight glass shows sparkling clear water though, so maybe she's working ok in spite of the piping abuse. So I had to ask him why he wants heat pumps when he's got this almost new steamer.

"We can't use it at night." Makes noise, does it? "Oh my God", he replied, "You wouldn't believe the racket. It's as if there are foundry workers down here shaping steel with large hammers!"

Turns out the other outfit that's been doing his work doesn't understand steam and near boiler piping requirements. They told him he needs another new boiler instead! Said his was leaking. So, I filled it up well over its crown & he'll call if any water shows up on the floow - which it did not at atmospheric pressure.

He's thinking about having the piping corrected & the boiler pressure-tested while it's disconnected. If that works, he won't be adding the mini-splits. He didn't flinch at the proposed pricing to re-do the steam piping. Kill one sale, make another(G). Funny how asking questions can reveal the real rasons why folks are looking at other options.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=98&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    H/P estimate

Morning Mr,Yates .Isn't it amazing how a knowledgeable "eye"can spot these messed up jobs and just as easily lose one estimate to get another estimate. Good for you!!!
  • that gas

That gas company installer get around...
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Good job Dave

I have decided to learn about steam. I've put it off for fear that there's no more room in my noggin but just bought a set of books on the subject, on sale BTW on this site. My Dentists years ago asked me to look at his house. They had lived in their house 15 years and they could never get warm. I walked in and saw multiple elec baseboards in the various rooms and a wood stove in the basement despite having a forced air electric furnace. Long story short. The return was sound lined and where it stubbed into the horizontal duct by the ceiling from the veritcal duct by the furnace, the insulation had not been cut out forming a complete blockage of the return air. I cut it out and put it back together and went upstairs. His wife asked me, "what that sound?" I sez it's air movement in your ducts. First time in 15 years the furnace could have worked. It's almost funny. Take some pictures of the steam boiler before and after so's I can learn. :) WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.