Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How Long would it take you to hack a car in half?

Options
Leo
Leo Member Posts: 770
This thread has brought old memories of the two headed car. About 40 years ago when I was much younger :) there was a large anniversary parade in our town. One of the local garages took two 1954 Chevies and made one consisting of the front halves. Couldn't tell if it was coming or going.

Thanks for sparking memories,

Leo

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    With a sawzall.

sawzall of your choosing blades of your choosing.../?

maybe we should see what our old sawzalls can do:) have a hack up a car tournament:)

tomorrow some sawzall dude is going to hack a car in half. my buddy thinks about 60 seconds.... maybe a particularily destructive dude could ...i dont know...seems like it would be maybe 12 mins tops 2 min most likely... this is total speculation on my part ..
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    I saw a guy ...

from Lennow do it in less than a minute....it was at a trade show in Portland, ME

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Fred Campbell
    Fred Campbell Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Lennox

They were cutting EVERYTHING in half back then with a marketing push
  • Weezbo
    Options
    Wow!

i can see i best never bid on hacking cars ...i figured the muffler would be a variable and safety another...maybe not....well, i will guess 55 seconds ,figuring thats less than a min and 55 is the speed limit...if i win i will get the guy to hack it in half whatever it is:)send 1/2 of it to the wall as an Object D'art for the next worthy cause:)

TomBig...
    it was "Fixed" no transmission driveline muffler? ...hmmm.... everybody would ragg at them if they did that.. that just aint Scottish :)

• Fred Campbell
    Fred Campbell Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Weezbo

Like I said...it was a marketing push. My guess is there was no exhaust or driveshaft involved...and it was probably a VW. I didn't see it but I remember the hoopla at the supply houses...guess how long,...etc.
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Remember ?

Don't you remember ?

Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds got his nickname by cutting a car in half with a HACKSAW. IIRC, it took like 3 blades. It was in the late 60's or early 70's. I forget who he played football for.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
    sawzall

If the weather is nice , they may hire a model in a bikini top to cut that thing in half : )

• Ron Huber_2
    Ron Huber_2 Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Hacksaw Reynolds

Played for the Rams and then the Forty Niners, cut the car in half on a bet while in college. Does that 60 second sawzall stunt include the drive shaft?
  • SVDW
    SVDW Member Posts: 80
    Options
    sub-sub compact

Our Lennox rep cut one in half in 1min/38sec last year at our counter days. It was a front wheel drive so no driveshaft. They were pushing their new HD blades. Good product; the kickback will break your arm b/f the blade bends!
  • Weezbo
    Options
    Anyone remember the Citron?

because while wondering,...as i am often apt to do....:) the thought crossed my mind what a Citron Version of the Sprinter would look like:)

have sort of a "Breakaway" sprinter/citron for short hops in a city. an "articulated" van:)

Namaste Singh, think i need to bring that to thier attention,immediately...:)
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    Question # 157

Lengthwise

or

Girthwise

(:-o)
  • Kevin O. Pulver
    Kevin O. Pulver Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Small, unibody car, no frame

really, not much more than a big tin can. Bare body I think.
    Let's see Lennox cut through a Chrysler Imperial!
    I saw a NICELY done 2 headed car at a junkyard once. The guy let me drive it with him. You sat side by side but facing different ways with your own steering wheel, transmission, and front wheel drive engine. It had consecutive numbered license plates- one on each end.
    He said a semi-truck popped up over a hill behind him once, and slammed on the brakes. The poor driver thought the little thing was coming AT him! He could park it ddown town, then Drive away instead of backing out when he left. You could spin the thing on a dime or even crab diagonally by steering both ends at once. It was a lotta fun. I can't remember the brand, something like a GEO, but I think it was Korean. Kevin
    Kevin
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    14 Seconds- I just did it!

Oh, wait.... CAR?? I thought you said CAT....

Oh gawd I feel stupid... Fluffy... Fluffy??
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options

I'm sure he didn't go far
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Please, Brad

do not try mouth to mouth. It is probably too late.

Jack
  • Weezbo
    Options
    *~/:) OOPS :)

maybe BBQ ribs Brad:) Fluffy would wash down with some German beer quite nicely :)
  • Darin Cook_5
    Darin Cook_5 Member Posts: 298
    Options
    Saw This !!!!!

I notice they still do not have a blade that can cut a piece of 4" SV cast iron in a minute or so. Now that would be impressive!!!!!

Darin
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    Brad!

That's nasty...but fun to think about... Here kitty kitty
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,033
    Options
    Depends how p.o.'d I was...............................

Don't forget the great Jack Hacksaw Reynolds that sawed a VW Bug in half before a game....Mad Dog

• jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Your response

reminded me of all the WWII cast iron I cut back in the 70's and 80's that was made with some type of steel mixed in, Darin. I did a lot of sewer connections which seemed to go out the back for the septic and the front of the house for the sewer.

Why did all those tough cuts have to be made in the crawl spaces where I had to go in with a dozen blades at a time.

Hard to believe they haven't gotten better.

Jack, not Hacksaw, Davis
  • Weezbo
    Options
    Well it took the guy 1 min 36 s4econds....

today at the wholesale company...i bid 55 seconds and 2 1/0ths... that guy must think he has a union job, :)

so i didn't get a win and something to chop up for the next good cause...however young Dave my new apprentice got them to give him the car:) so he is off to auction it off on E-Bay :)) he is going to be rich that kid :) he has initiative ...
  • Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh
    Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh Member Posts: 184
    Options

I think that stuff was called "Duriron" It was harder than Japanese arithmetic!
  • Car in Half

I was at a Trade Show in Vermont last week and I asked a very nice young lady representing Lenox what her record was for doing this. Her answer was 17 seconds as I recall. I would assume that it was prepped in advance though!

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
This discussion has been closed.