Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Visual Temperature Shower Valve

Options
Weezbo
Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
my mind ranges a bit to the use of a set point I series 1/2"S zone valve to a clack on (Taco) as temp limiters

...to a branch header with a temp read out for the header, you might use those digital gauges HR pointed out a few years ago for monitoring supply and return temps in much the same way as a PASCO well mounted removable dial face thermometer....

the interface maybe you could use large dial to dial the ISeries S up to 110 or so...the clack on i think is temp limiter switch to somewher around 90 F or so...certainly not too hot to be unbearable.

i think then you could use any valve you wanted...and any number of heads as it would already have the anti scald devise(mandantory by code) and a set point limiter and a didgital readout and a way to dial it in..or reduce flow in the event that the temp changed i have no idea how Fast these would operate though ....the last GHrohe i installed was one of those temp pressure platinum water towers...er they a bit spendy....

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Doing a handicap shower

for a young man who was in a bad accident. He will have some use of his hands but not alot. We are installing a shower valve with handshower in the shower and wil also put one next to the Toilet to allow him to use it for cleaning.

We have been told that his ability to see the temperature of the water is vital since he will not be able to feel the water temp. quick enough.

We are aware of the Symmons valve but think that the action of the lever may be to much for him to operate. A ceramic disc style would be best but we can not find a Preasure Balanced valve that has a built in gauge for twmperature.

Anyone ??

What about a A/S valve with a seperate gauge for temperature.

Thanks and just so you know these guy was a tech. for a n oil company that was in a late night accident will on a service call and went off the road. He is know in a wheel chair with little movement in his arms.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    American Standard had a temperature

display built into some of their tub/shower valves. Been a few years, don't know if they still offer them.

Be pretty easy to rig a digital display to the valve discharge pipe. Taylor makes some nice panel mount digitals.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ScottMP
    Options
    Thanks H.R.

I like the idea of the digital but don't know where to find them. I'll start looking.

Scott

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Grohe thermostatic valves have a direct-reading temperature dial. Extremely accurate as long as you install the valve correctly--I've measured ±1°F while flushing multiple toilets and running multiple lavs. Had to work on one for someone whose "best plumber in town" installed the valve backwards with with hot-on-cold and cold-on-hot. They make a "reverse acting" temperature cartridge but temperature accuracy is more like ±5°F and it responds MUCH more slowly.

All I've seen have a 100°F limit (defeatable on some models by pushing a button).

In the plainer styles, cost is not much more than a slightly fancy pressure-balanced valve. Some styles come with a built-in volume control (the temperature dial control ONLY temperature). With others you have to use a separate volume control.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

Here's a link.

Widely available in the US--even some home centers carry. Known for being MUCH more reliable and accurate than pressure-balanced valves. I can usually see how almost any mechanism works, but the thermostatic element in these things gives me ZERO clue as to how it does operates. Merely a stack bi-metal discs.
  • ScottMP
    Options
    thanks Mike

someone mentioned GRohe but our first concern was money. This guys family is covering everything and as is most cases they are not "well off".

That being said, this may be the best valve to use for this application and I will be giving materials at our cost to help out.

This guy is one of the best burner techs in the area.

Scott

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options

You should be able to get one in the $300-500 range.

They have gone up considerably in price in the last 10 years. When I bought mine a ¾" body and trim (plain) was about $300 and the ½" version less than $250. ½" volume control (if needed) shouldn't be more than $50 or so.

Grohe is commonly sold on ebay at quite good prices. I've bought a few Grohe things there with zero problems--some at exceptional savings. Seller has always mentioned any missing parts and replacement parts are easily ordered.

I know this won't bother you, but installation requirements are much more precise than typical American equipment. Valves aren't too bad, but some body sprays and other controls require quite high precision.

"Picky, Picky" is for a body spray. About 1/8" tolerance for the hole in the tile and about ¼" tolerance for projection of the male adapter. I used a "plumber's epoxy" around the adapters for both sealing and extra-secure support.

The cement board piece on the control wall took me over three hours to measure, cut and install but it fit to near perfection the first time.
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Scott,

have you spoken directly to a Symmons rep? They are one of the most accomodating manufactures we deal with and it possible they could put together something for you to use.

I will speak to my rep if you don't have a contact.

Jack
  • ScottMP
    Options
    Jack

Iknow symmons is a great company and we use them ALL the time.

Our concern is that this guy will have very limited use of his hands and we are concerned that the symmons valve will become hard to turn after awhile. He will use a velcro glove with velcro on the hand shower fro ease of grasping.

Scott

• Scott Denny
    Scott Denny Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Integrated Grohmix

Scott

Here's a link to a 1/2" Grohe valve that has levers for both temperature and volume control. Not cheap, but I think it's the best, most reliable fit for your application.
    http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/34458
  • grohneing

• grohne are

Grohe are the most expenive junk faucets on the market, busy replacing them with other brands due to, hard to get parts, different models required differnrt parts, supply homes love selling them for profit and hate gettin parts for it. For this guy, can't remmy the name of faucet that show the temp on faucet, will post it when I get the name as I know its not the junky grohe faucet...
  • ScottMP
    Options
    I am supprised

we don't have much problem with Grohe. Shame on your distributer for not stocking parts. Unavailable parts don't make the product lousy just the reps commitment to the line or the supply house.

Scott

• true, but

True, the distriubsers are partly at faults, the products itself are horrible... Esp the sink faucets, hose always breaking and leaky, odd ball threads and lack of parts, grohe somehow keeps changing the part numbers every other years and supply houses fed up with the repair part orders.
    Never sold one, I have installed them, pita, always replacing them, asked the customers , will they buy another grohe? NEVER AGAIN, won't be suckered by those slick magazine ads again...
  • SVDW
    SVDW Member Posts: 80
    Options

Scott, take a look at this link. This powers unit has a digital read & the valve lists for around $396.00. If your supply house guy has a heart you should be able to buy this for less than $250.00. Good on ya for your commitment to help this young man. http://www.powerscontrols.com/pdf/B-470.pdf
This discussion has been closed.