Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

B&G Circs considered top quality?

Bob Sweet
Bob Sweet Member Posts: 540
Imo the NRF series pumps are as good as any. I prefer the Grundfos simply because of the supplier. But have used and would use Taco or B&G. Based on your flow requirements less pump would be more pump. Would love to see a little less pump from manuf.

Comments

• D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    up there with Taco, Grundfos, Armstrong?

Installer has specified B&G circs for a small 2100 sq ft residence, monoflo, 2-zone 47Kbtu loss/100kbtu gain. I know they've been around forever and have top name recognition. Recently a thread on the wall mentioned an installer's discontent with the newer B&Gs, that they didn't last long at all, etc. I realize some of these comments can be subjective, based on a particular run of failed circs. Would like to hear if anyone else has had those problems. Are they in the same price range as the other three, or maybe considered second tier? While I know circs can and do fail, I'm not looking for any built-in problems.

I'd prefer to go with what the installer feels comfortable with if possible, barring any solid info to the contrary.

Thanks,

David
  • Brad White_99
    Brad White_99 Member Posts: 4
    My default residential specification basis

is Grundfos with Taco a close second. Generally I do not specify B&G and that may be just what is more readily available in my area. It is not an indictment of B&G or anyone else.

B&G did write the book on hydronics and as you said, any manufacturer can have a bad streak- how they handled it is where character is revealed. On that I do not know one way or the other.

I would go with your installers recommendation for he owns the warranty.

But the best advise I can give is, make sure the circulators are selected properly for calculated flow and head and use the least energy at that duty. Any circulator can be improperly selected and no manufacturer can bear that.

Good news is, chances are the flange-to-flange dimensions are identical (6-1/2" being common for example) so you can find replacements across the spectrum.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    B&G was once

the top provider of small residential circs and equipment, as I recall. They seemed to fall behind the others however with selection and innovation.

Maybe because the Series 100 ran for decades :)

Looks to me like they are catching up a bit with a wider selection of wet rotors and PL series. More affordable flat plate HXers and some nice iso flanges.

Seems every B&G party I've attended over the years at the ASHRAE shows the proirity is still on the big commercial industrial equipment. Must be their bread and butter line?

I've noticed their spies at various seminars asking good questions about modern hydronic wants needs and desires. Maybe...

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bearing assys

I stay the hell away from B&G pumps with the bearings assys, bigger pumps, I try to get grundfus, smaller ones, I have no plms with B&G nrf and pl lines...
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454

While we install Grunfos and taco, I have B&G in my own house. 7 of them. No failures in 10 years (NRF22's).

The 100 series is darn near bulletproof. They seem to run forever if maintained properly.
This discussion has been closed.