Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One ton unit ?

Options
I've been out of the loop for some months here, since retiring and moving to VT. I've built myself a super efficient envelope and only 1620 S.F. of living space and need a one ton unit. Since the cooling load is so small, I don't care as much about high (much over 13) SEER for a typical ducted unit and see no one makes a unit that small. I suppose I could deal with a 1.5 ton, but hate oversizing by 50%! A split system is in the ballpark for size, but the configuration would be stupid, even with multiple units on one condensor.

Anybody out there make the size I need?

Thanks!

Comments

• John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    How about....

....a ductless mini-split?

Starch
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    EMI

makes a ductless split condenser that is like a regular split condenser. 3/4 ton and better. YTou may have to mate it to a 1.5 ton evap coil because I have not seen a 1 ton "A" coil, but you'll get better dehumidification.

EMI is part of Utica boiler now I think
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    1-Ton

That's a small load! Did you figure in controlled outdoor air for this "tight"house? The split ductless/ducted are available in "inverted compressor technology" and the compressor/indoor motors speed"ramp up and down" upon load changes .Daikin is one brand .
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    Just put one in

can get from any York UPG brand: York, Luxaire or Coleman. Check with Johnstone. 13 SEER, not too pricey, cute little rotary comp. It was oversized for my situation but sure beat the hideous oversize that a 1.5 ton would have been.
  • don_156
    don_156 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Hello John

Its good to see you here.
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Options
    Something to think about...

Given that it is a super tight pad with a small load I'd recommend looking at a Fujitsu mini-split(I'm biased, I represent them in New England) dual unit. Single condensing unit of 24kbtu and your choice of 2-9's, 1-9 and 1-12, or 2-12's. I'd recommend the dual more for the benefit of equal air distribution than btu output. They are inverter based, so true variable speed with extended run times and great dehu. The 9 & 12 kbtu evaps will each go down as low as 5.5kbtu. On the single stage 9 it will go to 3.6kbtu but the dual can only scroll down to 5.5 with a single evap calling. The duals are 16.5 seer. Also, they are heatpumps. No they are not a sole source of heat in VT but they can give you the fall and spring very efficiently. As well, you get the IAQ feature of the Plasma air filter.
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options

Hey John. Nice to hear from you.

The house config. would make a ductles mini-split a problem. Far more practical would be a simple through the wall johnny homeowner unit. The cost would be under a G-wiz, but I would have to play "all-doors-open games" that would create cheesy layout in an otherwise dream home.
  • Ken_40
    Options

Thanks Tech,

I am unfamiliar with that brand. That alone bodes poorly in regard to parts, service and longevity, but I'll take your advice and scope it out.

Thanks again!
  • Ken_40
    Options

Thanks for responding Jack.

I sort of address the down-side of the mini-splits above.

Keep thinking.
  • Ken_40
    Options

As I suspected, Daikin may be the unit of my dreams, but they seem to have no presence anywhere but "down under."

I also forgot my KW to tons conversion and would look it up, but they show no signs of a Yank presence.

Is that ssumption correct?
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Maybe a High veolcity system?

I know that the SEER matching can be a bear with them from first hand experience.

You may want to try getting one of the smaller ones and matching it up with one of the 1 ton condensing units that York puts out. As I recall from long ago, Unico used to have a damper on the discharge of the blower to adjust airflow.

Just a thought.

• Brad White_92
    Brad White_92 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Daikin

I have some Daikin literature I picked up at the Boston ASHRAE product show a couple of months ago. I will have to see when I get back to the office what representative's sticker is on the brochures. Looks like a great line, fills a critical niche.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    1 ton

Hi Ken! Here on Long Island,Daikin is available thru our WONDERFULL Trane distributor,Wallwork!
  • John@Reliable_12
    John@Reliable_12 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Small load/ tight house?

Ken, With the house so tight do you think you may need some fresh air, what about radon? An hydro-air unit of 11/2 ton unit for summer and hydro for winter, fresh air year round may be just what the doctor ordered.
  • John@Reliable_12
    John@Reliable_12 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Small load/ tight house?

Ken, With the house so tight do you think you may need some fresh air, what about radon? An hydro-air unit of 11/2 ton unit for summer and hydro for winter, fresh air year round may be just what the doctor ordered.

• Ken_40
    Options
    I'd sure

appreciate knowing a rep was within the region - before plopping down a few bucks...
  • Ken_40
    Options
    John,

I was thinking of tapping into the brook that is 100 yards from the house. It never gets above 50 on the hottest days of summer, but the glycol, HX in the brook and related logistics make it iffy engineering at best - and a potential nightmare at worst. Here it is almost mid-July and we have yet to have a sleepless night yet! Being in the mountains and the breezes that seem inevitable, almost make A/C unnecessary, but I don't want to miss even a few night's sleep - because of humidity excesses - or, temps above ~78 at 10p.m. or later.

Radon is not an issue here in northern VT. I am transferring my NJ ASHRAE membership to the local VT chapter and will ask around at the first meeting I attend. Unfortunately, that isn'y until the summer vacation is over and they re-start monhly meetings, in September! By then it will be snowing (;-o) and A/C a memory of days long gone.
This discussion has been closed.