Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water, water everywhere (and in my basement)...

Options
Stonehouse_4
Stonehouse_4 Member Posts: 5
Well the old stonehouse is apparently filled to the first floor with water as our "crick" overflowed when the bridge adjacent to our property got damned up by another bridge that washed down from up crick.

I presume the boiler is now a casualty. Is it worth trying to salvage? If so, what should I do to bring it back. I know I'll need to clean up the burner, replace the motor, primary and ignitor. Anything else come to mind?

Or, should I just put in for a new one? (We took flood insurance earlier this year. One wise move!)

Thanks!

Alex

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    FEMA and GAMA

both recommend replacement of any equipment which has been under water.

Here is previous post concerning this:

Forum: The Wall (for Q&A)
    Thread: OIL BURNER RECOMMISION AFTER FLOOD
    Author: Gary Reecher
    Subject: Found the GAMA Reference

URL: http://forums.invision.net/Index.cfm?CFApp=2&Message_ID=168718

http://www.gamanet.org/gama/news.nsf/vAttachmentLaunch/672A6B3F7399281185256ED200531607/$FILE/Flood-Damaged Appliances Should Be Replaced.pdf

http://www.gamanet.org/gama/news.nsf/vAttachmentLaunch/2F38C5FFE4968EBA85256F0900709290/$FILE/Jacksonville Flood.pdf

Also found that Weil McLain recommends replacing their unit if it has been flooded. If the boiler is not replaced they listed all the controls and included the jacket insulation needs to be replaced as well.

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Alex

time to size the new one to the radiation count we did earlier.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 420
    Options
    Drip, drip, drip...

Thanks for the info Tim, I'll go through the threads as soon as I get all the wet stuff out of the basement.

Frank, you got it! Trying to locate the new boiler now. For now, though, I'm going to stick in a small electric hot water heater just to get us going...

Here are some photos.
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    What the heck,

you needed another project anyway.

Ahh, country living. ;-)

Retired and loving it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I finally dried

out the office today and cleaned all the carpets. Hey I am supposed to be starting my vacation.
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    We pray for rain

The hottest and dryest June in 104 years in Colorado. Send us some of your rain!
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 420
    Options
    weather weirdies...

And I spoke to my sister in New Orleans and they are having the driest year in their recorded history! All that water last year, and now, not a drop...

Got a lot out of the basement. The dumpster arrived today too. Put most of the stuff out on a tarp on the lawn, and am taking pictures and more pictures. I won't hear from the adjuster for another 24 or so hours, so I have to document before I toss...

I cancelled my V85S as my supplier upped the price since I quoted a month or so ago (understandable, everything costs more) and since my friend who worked there up and quit. Then added a $75 deliver charge (OK, gas is through the roof) but he would only deliver to my town not to my house. A difference of 10 miles. Like I can get a V85 in my Subaru!

So I went to the local supply house, got some 3/4 pex and some fittings (and they lent me the Wirsbo (oops Uponor) 3/4 head for my expansion tool as they didn't have one for sale) and then to Homey Despot to get a 30 gallon $200 GE water heater. An hour or so after opening the box, hot water! Thank heavens we don't need heat yet!

My friend is going to dig up a V85 from another supplier, so, Dan, I will have another project all too soon!

Then, of course, I've got to deal with the washer and dryer....

And the beat goes on...

The photo below is from one of the bridges about 2 miles from my house. It was an open grate bridge that crossed a little stream..... Not any more... There are 2 more out within a couple of miles as well...

Alex
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Well,

the garden will be green this year.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    opportunity

The bridge building business must be booming.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Alex,

I am really sorry to hear about the flooding in your home. Hopefully, everything was covered and nothing irreplacable was damaged.

Best of luck with that boiler swap, I'm sure it's going to be great!
This discussion has been closed.