Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flex dryer vent = frustrating!

Options
Ken C.
Ken C. Member Posts: 267
I dread whenever I have to deal with aluminum flex vent for a gas clothes dryer (I'm talking about the stuff that's similar to a Z-vent chimney liner). I always have a hard time getting it over a 4" smoke elbow or a vent terminal. The stuff tears very easily, and, especially annoying, it tends to tear in a spiral.

The other type of flexible dryer vent (the aluminum foil supported by a spiral of hard wire) is much easier to work with. It slides over smoke pipe and fittings without a struggle, but, unfortunately, it does not meet code for venting a gas clothes dryer.

So, I have to use the code-approved flex vent, but wonder if anyone has any techniques to make working with it less frustrating...

I need to keep what's left of the hair on my head! Thanks.

Comments

• H.R
    H.R Member Posts: 14
    Options

have you tried crimping the 4" hard pipe,that worked @ my house.
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    you would...

probably be better of using 30 ga. hard pipe and elbows....kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Options
    It may cost a bit more

but on my own I use 4" duct and elbows, less fight and stays cleaner longer.
  • hvacfreak
    hvacfreak Member Posts: 439
    Options
    foil tape

I always foil tape where I need to cut it ( or stress it in any way )...before hand. Also , there is a heavier gauge available at sheet metal supply houses that is much more durable. Longer crimpers help to make better " small ends " also on this stuff ( I roll the edge out with my thumb for " large ends ". Don't forget to " crush " the overlap seam on hard metal pipe when crimping ( the edge can fold out if you crimp close to it ). Worm drive clamps ( large hose clamps ) work good for dryer vents ( no screws sticking inside ).
This discussion has been closed.