Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam pro needed

Drew S.
Drew S. Member Posts: 17
Adam,
I am also looking for a steam pro in Central CT (Middletown) to replace a steam boiler. I have calculated the total EDR of the radiators, but am not sure what to use for the piping pick up factor. I understand the standard is 1.33, but figured I'd ask to be sure.

Let me know if you find a good pro.

Comments

• Adam_13
    Adam_13 Member Posts: 49
    steam pro needed

Hello, I'm looking for a good steam man near central conn. to replace one or two steam boilers in an old multi-family home. I tried the wall and came up with only one name in CT so I figured I'd post a note here as well. The first guy who came to quote the job would not measure the radiators and insisted on the "label method" to size the replacement. Since then I have calculated the connected load, and so now I'm looking for someone more familiar with steam to get things done right.Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time-Adam
  • Adam,

You were wise not to accept the kunclehead for not doing the radiators check. Sorry, I'm in the west suburb of Chicago and wish you luck getting a steam pro in your area...
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Hello Adam

I'm in southwick , the dimple above bradley airport. where are you at ?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Adam_13

Hello David, I'm in New Britain. There are two old boilers (from 1904) in the house I'm buying. I know one needs to be replaced and I figure the other's about ready too. The seller (who is a good friend of mine) is working a deal with me to change at least one or possibly both of the boilers. We would be looking for a price to change one and another price to to both if the two boilers could be worked into a packaged deal. Other notable points are that the the old boilers are staying with the the house (I'm just going to move them out of the way) so that they will not have to be broken up, and since I've had access to the other two floors (and since I am a "student" of heating history), I have calculated the size of the replacement boilers myself using a more appropriate 1.5 piping pick up factor instead of the manufacturers built in 1.3 in the net rating.If your interested in taking a look at the job let me know and we can set something up. Thank you for your time-Adam
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Here's what twins look like

Hello Adam here is a set of steamers i just did, two floors each has its own boiler...David

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Gee

Those boilers seemed to Yellow overnight;-)Good looking Job David
  • Adam_13

Hi, this message is for Drew S. Sorry for the late reply. I wanted to choose a 1.5 pickup factor for two reasons. First, the all the asbestos was removed years ago and so all the pipes in the basement are bare. Also, there is a hall radiator that was removed in the past. Until I get around to insulating the pipes I wanted to make sure that the boiler would be able to handle the additional load, and I figured that when I do insulate the pipes that will give back enough capacity to allow for the missing radiator should I choose to put it back in (it came with the house in the garage!). To answer your question, unless you have an unusual situation like this the 1.33 pickup factor should be more than fine. As for a good steam pro, check out Dave's pics in this topic! Best of luck-Adam
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Counter flow!

I can count on two fingers the number of counter-flow systems I have done.

Beautiful piping job.

Mark H

This discussion has been closed.