Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Learning as we go...

Options
Al_19
Al_19 Member Posts: 170
You don't have to expect a world of a difference between the first and second floors.

Your minimum pump run time decreases each time you change the tank precharge (28-38-53?)because the higher precharge takes up more air space in the tank, leaving less space for gallons of water to draw down, therefore less water for the pump to refill.

Be carefull. Most of the relief valves on the tank are fixed at 75 pounds. You're getting close.

I would look for a problem at your wife's shower.

Comments

• hvacfreak
    hvacfreak Member Posts: 439
    Options
    the first ( or **** ever )

P-ting...the counter man spit into his cup that was half full of mucas and liquified " Copenhagen "..." Yep...a 30/ 50's what ya want " ...we have 40/60's ...need a good pump for those ". " Well , my pump is 3/4 hp , I'll go with the 30/50 ". I'm watching the water " dribble " from my wifes shower head and thinking ' yeah , that 's a little better than it was ( at least in my mind it was ).

So I realized the leak and fixed the problem ( excavated the back yard and replaced the piping to the well casing ). New expansion tank pressurized 2 psi below cut it ( sized per Amtrol website ). So , I start the pump and see a major difference in pressure increase ( to cut-out set point at 50 psi ). And my wife's shower on the second floor....bout the same .

P-ting..." Gonna step up to the 40/60 eh ? " Yeah , that sounds like the ticket ( yeah , I asked for a better control , and this is what I got ). Drained and pressurize tank to 38 psi. Wife's shower now moves some water ( not by my standards , but mines on the first floor ).

So , I start looking at component literature ( with no " one text " to be had on this subject. The pump manufacturer recomends a minimum 2 minute ( may not be right , I need to read this again )run time on the pump ( cut in-cut out ). Drawdown time is how the tank is selected ( cut-out to cut in with demand ( still not sure what water needs to be running to measure this ). But at 40/60 I am missing the minumim runtime recommended by the pump manufacturer ( too fast ).

P-ting..." here's that part you ordered , mind if i ask what it is " ? " Yeah , it's a digital pressure switch made by Amtrol " , " it'll go to 100 psi with a 10 psi delta p " ( just the ticket for this " arbitrary science " of supplying water ).

So , here I am at 55/70 , wife's shower is doing good. I will get the run-time and drawdown to the pump rep this week ( and add tank's as necessary ). I'll do the new " constant pressure " if I ever have to pull the pump , for now I'm good though. According to the text I've read from the manufacturers , I'm the first to try to get decent water pressure from a well. P-ting.

• Al_19
    Al_19 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    freak

You don't have to expect a world of a difference between the first and second floors.

Your minimum pump run time decreases each time you change the tank precharge (28-38-53?)because the higher precharge takes up more air space in the tank, leaving less space for gallons of water to draw down, therefore less water for the pump to refill.

Be carefull. Most of the relief valves on the tank are fixed at 75 pounds. You're getting close.

I would look for a problem at your wife's shower.
  • what's size

What's the brand and size tank u have? A 3/4 hp, depending the staic water table is a pretty good size pump but most jobs I've seen, tanks are woefully undersized and unable to meet the min 2 minutes run time..
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Check the shower head

for blockage or restrictor. 70 psi is a lot of pressure to do the job. Watch for the faucets and toilet ballcocks to start complaining at that pressure.

Watter hammer could be an issue also with fast closing valves like washers and dishwashers.

Install a pressure gauge somewhere and first check static pressure with nothing flowing. Then as you open faucets see how quickly the pressure drops (residual pressure) a fast drop with one or two sink faucets indicates a flow restriction somewhere in your lines. Got all the valves fully opened?

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hvacfreak
    hvacfreak Member Posts: 439
    Options

That shower head does need to go for sure. The tank is a Goulds V-100. All piping is new in the basement ( 1 inch mains ). The 3/4 hp pump is down 250 ft ( the Goulds 5GS 1/2 hp was on the edge of the curve at this depth ).

The Amtrol control has , what they refer to as " anti short cycle protection " ( and still trying to figure out what that is based on ). This thing is so much better than those stupid grey boxes ( what year is this , I can't believe that these are still the standard ).

If I had 3 phase power I'd use a Siebe 0-10 vdc pressure transducer controlling an ABB varriable drive on a pump twice as big as it needs to be ( how things get done in commercial work ). And since I don't...it's a little frustrating , LOL.

This discussion has been closed.