Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A/C Leak

Options
I'm a greenhorn when it comes to A/c, I was was wondering if you could help me with my problem. After fixing a condensor fan motor yesterday, I put my gauges on and both high and low side pressures stay the same. Is that and indication the the compressor is not working properly? And what else should I check for.

Comments

• Terry_14
    Terry_14 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    leak caused by Ice?

Has any one experianced a compatible fitting line set properly connected having a leak for no aparent reason?

Can Ice cause seperation of some sort? Unit 4 days old, out of gas, presurized with nitrogen and trace R22. leak tested and gagues held snugged all fittings. Evacuated through micron gague and held 400 microns for 10 minutes with pump off .

Recharged system with digital thermometer and superheat as posted on cover.

Lasted 2 days How could a micron gague lie I'm stumped! Homeowner out of town till thursday so will not know what actually took place hard to sleep thinking I missed something

Terry T.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Terry

Did you check your schrader cores??? Also, just a note, try nitrogen and raise your pressure to 150/200 and check with ultra sound if you have one. 2 days is a pretty big leak. Might want to have your micron gauge checked.

Mike T.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Leak

I agree with Mike. Check the valves. With consumption like that, you should be able to hear it leaking, unless the leak,is behind a wall or other inaccessable place.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Freon Leak

Morning All, Hay Terry ,find that leak yet?A particular type of leak is sometimes harder to find, like right on the factory 90* bend on the discharge line and would only leak when it was hot and running. Let us know what you find out! Good Day All!
  • Terry_13
    Terry_13 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    NO LEAK at all

Thank you all for posts Another tech went to site and determined the homeowner turned it down to 60 F. We all know that is 2 olow. The unbit froxe up and was thawed when he arrived.

The original leak evacuation to 400 microns holding for 10 min did the trick We as a group need to educate homeowners in operation detail.

Again Thanks all

Terry T.
  • Brad White_87
    Brad White_87 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    That is almost funny.....

Most HO's think of thermostats as valves ("more turns means more capacity") versust a switch which they really are.

Pushing a light switch harder does not make a room brighter...

Good post. A lesson for many.

Brad
  • Empire_2
    Options
    Hi Bill

Sounds like the compressor is not running. Since you replaces the cond. fan, make sure there isn't a hi press. manual reset switch that has tripped as a result of the faulty fan.

Mike T.
  • bill_72
    bill_72 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I'm a greenhorn when it comes to A/c, I was was wondering if you could help me with my problem. After fixing a condensor fan motor yesterday, I put my gauges on and both high and low side pressures stay the same. Is that and indication the the compressor is not working properly? And what else should I check for.
  • bill_72
    bill_72 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I'm not on the job now but I do remember seeing a little timer box that was on the unit. Does that have a manual reset or does it just go into a timer reset when power is reapplied? I took a quicky commercial refrigeration class last year, and I havent really had a chance to apply any of it until recently. Do you recommend any classes around RI that I could take. Or more importanly any training Videos, cds. or books. Thanks for any help? I'm currently working as a plumber and pipefitter, and would like to eventually be strong in all 3 trades.
  • Empire_2
    Options
    Bill

I don't know if there is a reset. Some have it/Some don't. As far as the timer box, It could be a time delay or anything for that matter. Would need some #'s. Basic refrigeration is a great place to start with your education. Also, make sure that you become well versed in electrical diagram reading and trouble shooting. That is a must. I think it would aid you in the problem you have now. Good Luck

Mike T.
  • Jim Bergmann_2
    Jim Bergmann_2 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Refrigerant Leak?

It has been popularized to inhale refrigerant for a cheap high, I have seen systems that were tight, installed the caps, come back only to find the caps off and the refrigerant gone. There have been several deaths due to refrigerant inhalation. This is from the National Inhalant Prevention Coalition, used with permission, www.Inhalants.org A smart kid may have put the caps back on. There are tamper proof caps, or caps that require a wrench. You might take a marker and mark the caps with a line to see if they have been moved.

Most parents are in the dark regarding the popularity and dangers of inhalant use. But children are quickly discovering that common household products are inexpensive to obtain, easy to hide and the easiest way to get high. According to national surveys, inhaling dangerous products is becoming one of the most widespread problems in the country. It is as popular as marijuana with young people. More than a million people used inhalants to get high just last year. By the time a student reaches the 8th grade, one in five will have used inhalants.

What is inhalant use?
    Inhalant use refers to the intentional breathing of gas or vapors with the purpose of reaching a high. Inhalants are legal, everyday products which have a useful purpose, but can be misused. You’re probably familiar with many of these substances – paint, glue and others. But you probably don’t know that there are more than 1,000 products that are very dangerous when inhaled – things like typewriter correction fluid, air-conditioning refrigerant, felt tip markers, spray paint, air freshener, butane and even cooking spray. See Products Abused as Inhalants for more details.

Who is at risk?
    Inhalants are an equal opportunity method of substance abuse. Statistics show that young, white males have the highest usage rates. Hispanic and American Indian populations also show high rates of usage. See Characteristics of Users and Signs of an Inhalant User for more details.

What can inhalants do to the body?
    Nearly all abused products produce effects similar to anesthetics, which slow down the body’s function. Varying upon level of dosage, the user can experience slight stimulation, feeling of less inhibition or loss of consciousness. The user can also suffer from Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome. This means the user can die the 1st, 10th or 100th time he or she uses an inhalant. Other effects include damage to the heart, kidney, brain, liver, bone marrow and other organs. Results similar to Fetal Alcohol Syndrome may also occur when inhalants are used during pregnancy. Inhalants are physically and psychologically addicting and users suffer withdrawal symptoms. See Damage Inhalants Can Cause to the Body and Brain, Long-Term Effects of Inhalant Usage and Signs and Symptoms of a Long-Term User for more details

Thanks
    Jim Bergmann
  • Empire_2
    Options
    JIM B.

While my first thoughts were to rip you for you first paragraph....I retract this statement. I did not know that!!!! WOW!!!!. I once had a customer in a teen saturated neighborhood that every year, I would have to go back and, While the system was new,. It Was flat!. After multiple leak checks EVERY Year for about 4 years, The problem rectified itself. I even suggested that the kid's were letting out the ref. , but I would have never EVER thought of this. I thank you for the Scenario and possible cause of this and all chronic leaks.

Again all I can Say is WOW!!!!!!

Mike T.

Just a comment to all, I think this info should be erased from the wall so that other children cannot see that they can get hi from this. I guess it's Dan's call.

Thanks again Jim.

Mike T.
  • Terry_14
    Terry_14 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Thanks customer error

Thank you all for your kind suggestions Not being the initial installer I did not instruct homeowner on proper thermostat settings.

When the actual installer returned after the repair I did he found the thermostat down to 60 and a solid block of ice.

I was never brought back to recheck my work which he said was flawless.

As to inhalation this area is more retired than children and there was truly a leak when i arrived.

The obvious complaint is "your Guy did'nt fix it right and I don't plan to pay" we all hear it now system is working well with proper training.

Side note prayers for the husband with cancer Some of us on the wall believe and for those who do not please no offense>

God bless Our Troops

Terry T.
This discussion has been closed.