Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

air pump for x tanks

Options
tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
Great for pressure tests on radiant loops and for gas lines also. You get less temp effect with nitrogen also so you test does not fluctuate near as much as O2. Tim

Comments

• Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    I'm looking to upgrade

my air pump. For a long time I've kept a small bicycle pump on my truck for pressurizing expansion tanks for boilers. Now the local water authority is requiring potable expansion tanks on water heaters. It's a lot harder to pressurize those suckers to the higher pressure with my little pump. Can anyone recommend a small electric air pump or something that works mo better and doest take up much room in the van? Many thanks in advance. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Compressor

Wayne, I use a small C/H tankless,,goes to 100 PSI fast and takes-up hardly any room. Sorry I can`t find it on their website.

Dave
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    d/c converter

i got a small one at wally world 4 $20 bucks. it is d/c i also bouught a converter that way u can use it in your truck for emergecy. home converter lets u use d/c items in the house (phone charger ect) royboy
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    a portable air tank work well

charge it up at home. That way you don't need a power source at the job site.

Lots of HVAC shops around here carry small nitrogen bottles, about 2 foot tall, for coil and condensate line cleaning. Plenty of 45 psi charges from a small nitrogen tank.

I bought a small 12VDC compressor a few years back. Mostly for airing up radiant slabs before power is on the jobsite. It's another way to recharge an air tank right at your truck, or fix a jobsite flat tire.

hot rod

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JaredM
    JaredM Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Small Compressor

We've used this little guy from Grainger for a number of years now. It's light and compact but needs 120 volts.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3JR69

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White_184
    Brad White_184 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    N2

I agree with Hot Rod- nitrogen in a B-tank is an excellent tool for charging expansion tanks. May be theoretical but by displacing oxygen with dry nitrogen just has to prolong the life of the diaphragm and forestall corrosion.

Keeping a tank of nitrogen handy is a comfort if you do any brazing or need to do a dry lay-up of any system.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    own a blow out gun ?

that is as portable as it gets.
  • jim lockard_4
    jim lockard_4 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Nitrogen

We keep nitrogen on the trucks (60 cube ft cylinder)just pick up a tire fill end at any auto parts store and a converter from 1/4 pipe to 1/4 SAE and your go to go.
This discussion has been closed.