Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Troubles with NG Unit Heater

Options
I'll check my grounds tomorrow just to cover all bases. I will have to try and get a board on the 27th.

Merry Christmas!

Comments

• PeterGriffin
    PeterGriffin Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Grounding Issues ??

Kind of a long story here, I almost looked like the hero

The garage my car (1981 Volkswagen Scirocco anyone?) is being stored at has a Beacon Morris Brute unit heater that is having delayed ignition/no ignition and internal control failure problems, at least according to the LED. I adjusted the gas pressure, from 5.9" to 3.5", it seemed to fix the problem, I fired it on and off about 5 times before I left and it appeared to be operating flawlessly.

I got a call this morning saying it was doing it again. When I was there the before I was suspicious of the wiring, more specifically the grounding. In the Owners manual, under troubleshooting, it listed grounding as a possible fault for each symptom, but the unit appeared to be working so great after I adjusted the pressure, I guess I just ignored it. (rookie mistake :/ )

I suggested that maybe the wiring was at fault, the igniter was tight to the chassis of the unit, all the grounds looked good on the unit. So, he had a friend of his (an electrician, or so I'm told) that checked it and said all the wiring was done properly, and the grounding is good.

Is it possible that there is an issue with the board? The owner said when he resets the unit it will light fine, but after he leaves it for a few hours or a day it won't be running and it is locked out on Internal Control Failure.

Any ideas? Should I just leave it for a guy with more experience than me?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas/Happy
    interdenominational Holiday

Rankin
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Generally Consider your self a good tech.

Just by asking the qeustion you are on the ball.... If the control said on the diag. indicatiors, it may be bad. One thing you MUST have is both Mechanical and electrical ground. Mech,...exmp. from closest fron the flame rod or burner itself, and to the mainline comming in. Meanning that the restance from the source to the whitch should have very little resistance when ohmed out.
    Electrical.... Make sure the ground for the panel to the furnace and finally that all common points are "0" or there about. This a good ground.
    Now give this a check, fore the unit one more time and see what happens. Chances are that it is the board, But at least you made sure all the proper grounding of the equipment is adheard to as per Man. instructions.

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.