Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler assembly cement

Norm Harvey
Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684
I use hi temp silicone almost exclusively on that kind of thing. And yes it should be romoved for cleaning every year. The silicone comes off much easier than the cement and makes the job easier.
"We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"

Comments

• RonV_2
    RonV_2 Member Posts: 32
    boiler assembly cement

The accompanying photos show the seam between a cast iron boiler core and the sheet metal flue collector joined to the top of the boiler. The grey cement that was used to assemble this at the factory appears to be breaking up. Should I clean this up and reseal it and if so, is it OK to use high temp silicone such as shown in the photo, or is some sort of grout or cement recommended for this?

This is a Victory V150 cast iron natural gas boiler with fan forced venting out the side of the flue collector.

As an additional note, the maintenance instructions for this boiler call for this flue collector to be removed annually to allow cleaning of the inside of the boiler core. Perhaps now is a good time to do that if I am going to reseal the collector anyway. But it seems a bit extreme to do this every year doesn't it? This thing is 6 years old now.

Any advice on the type of cement is most appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.