Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fostapex Crimping

Options
ChrisL
ChrisL Member Posts: 121
I am switching over to using Fostapex, and have a choice of going with either the Hand crimper, or getting the jaw set for my existing full size cordless Propress. I am actually thinking the hand crimper might be better, as it would be lighter+no batteries to depend on. Does this sound like a good choice?

Thanks,

ChrisL

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    If

you're not using it constantly,yes.Crimp a few dozen 1" joints a day and you'll be getting the jaws!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    The hand crimpers

work well and fit into tight spaces with that ratchet mechanism.

A regular copper pex ring also works, but that Viega stainless crimp collar is a very nice piece.

I really like the quality of the brass fittings Viega sells, much higher quality then all the others out there, especially the stuff from China. I've seen some of the import stuff crack under the pressure of the crimp tool.
    If you do a lot of the large diameter crimping, the power tool helps.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tim_41
    Tim_41 Member Posts: 153
    Options

I have used the hand crimpers up to 1" for a couple of years now. The 1" crimper is the easiest one of them all. It has a ratcheting system that makes it effortless. I just bought the propress sytem and really like it. They both will get into spots where the other won't. I find myself using both and most jobs.
  • jim s_2
    jim s_2 Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Didn`t think they

made fostapex jaws for the full size pro-press.
  • ChrisL
    ChrisL Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Thnks guys

Thnks for the info guys. Looks like its pretty close decision.

Jim, Ridgid now makes jaws for the stndrd propress. The compact propress has even more choices, as they now have jaws for viega pex, crimp ring, and murray/oetker clamp.

ChrisL
This discussion has been closed.