Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler - Is this compulsive behavior??

Options
I have a three year old WM SGO-4 heating my home. I used the Rhomar products when it was installed and added Boiler Pro 903, which is an oxygen scavenger to the water.

The fact that I drain 2-quarts a week to blow-out the low-water cut-off, tells me that I am adding 10 gallons a season in fresh water. As a result, I figure if I really want the boiler to last, I should add another quart of Boiler Pro 903.

My boiler has a cast iron Taco-007 that circulates water to a heat exchanger. Will the 903 help reduce corrosion for this? I recently learned that it should have been bronze to really last.

Thanks!

The kind people at Rhomar suggested a test kit for $49 to measure the sulfite levels. My guess is that there aren't many homeowners that do this. Am I being a bit compulsive, or will this kind of treatment extend my boiler life? I spend many a night on this site and wonder if I should just not worry about it... not that I am worrying!
Steve from Denver, CO

Comments

• ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Options
    get the sulfite kit

Rhomar's a good company. In commercial and industrial boiler world careful water treatment is obligatory to maintain energy efficiency and dramatically extend boiler tube life. The investments in boilers and fuel are protected by water treatment.

You're not compulsive (although I'm the wrong guy to pass judgment on such things). Prevention of boiler scale prevents the efficiency losses associated with the insulating value of scale, and in the worst cases baked-on impurities and minerals can cause sections to overheat and crack. Last but not least, anything that prevents oxygen and carbonic acid corrosion is undeniably a good thing.

The boiler equipment should last a long, long time with such care.

Kind of the "Drive It Forever" of boiler care.

-Terry
    terry
  • Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    Options

Terry:

Thanks for your response. I see so little discussion about this and since the boiler manuals suggest no water treatements, I want other opinions as well. My feeling is that as long as it is safe, anything to add years you my new boiler life is worthwhile. Besides, now that my steam system works perfectly (thanks to all the pros here) I need some new projects!

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
This discussion has been closed.