Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiators Not Heating!

Dan Sedens
Dan Sedens Member Posts: 48
Similar to your drawing except that the equilizer came off at the end of the main after the last radiator. The vent had been installed by others and was drilled and tapped into an elbow about midway up the main run. My new main starts at the highest point in the main and runs to the lowest point with a new 11/2" equilizer at lowest point and two new Gorton vents 18" back from equilizer. The problem radiators are the last two takeoffs on the run before the equilizer. I wonder if I should just re-pipe to return to old configuration. Can't seem to understand why it won't work though? I will attempt a simple drawing of new configuration.
Thanks for the help.
Dan

Comments

• Dan Sedens
    need help

Recently replaced an old American Standard Steam Boiler for a customer. Existing system was a one pipe counterflow system.Decided to reverse feed to a parallel flow system. Now existing kitchen radiator and two bedroom radiators at end of mains do not heat up. Bedroom radiators are on a common 11/4" riser to back to back radiators on second floor. Kitchen radiator is last one off main with 7' of 11/4" pipe on first floor. Bedroom radiators are second to last on the main. Existing main is 40' of 2". Installed two new Gorton #1 at end of main, 18" from equilizer. Bedroom radiators will heat up after long cycles. Recently installed Hoffman 1A vents set to setting #6 on bedrooms. Kitchen radiator does not heat up at all. I even disconnected radiator and opened angle valve and after 45 minutes valve became hot. Could reversing flow have changed something? I need some input. I reversed flow thinking system would be much quieter. Am I completly off base?
    Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance
    Dan
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684

The pitch of the entire main would be toward the boiler in a counter flow system with a drip leg before the first take off to a wet return, and possibly one at the end of the main.

When switching to parallel flow, did you change the pitch of the entire main to be away from the boiler?

Switching from counter flow to parallel flow is a significant change requiring attention to each and every take off.

I have to ask,... why the switch?

"We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"
  • Dan Sedens

Norm,
    Original piping pitched up away from boiler, travelled 40' and had a 1" equilizer at the end, no vents. I figured in the long run that having steam and condensate run in the same direction may help with sound. Installed an 11/2" equilizer at end of main before entering hartford loop and installed two new Gorton #1 main vents. Did I over think this system? Just trying to do what's best for customer. Replaced and resized all radiator vents in system. New boiler is a Weil Mclain PEG-35. I'd have to look at my calcs but am sure system is sized properly. Sorry no pictures.
    Thanks
    Dan
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684

Was there a drip leg as the first thing off the main that connects to the return?

I drew a quick sketch is this what the system looked like before?
    "We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"
  • Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543

The key is the pitch of the primary main. It must have been pitched somewhat higher than the main at the boiler room. As Norm said, when converting counterflow to parallel every detail must be taken into account; mainly the take-offs. If the upward pitch remains condensate will never really reach your new dry return and now you've created a length of pipe that is actually a radiator in essence which adds much more air to be vented from the system making those last rads impossible to heat.. You said the old "equalizer" was at the end of the main. Did it drop down to a wet return? Buried? Below the A dimension?
  • Dan Sedens

Thanks for the input guys. I have been reading the wall for about a year now and cannot tell you how much I have learned here. I think you may be right with respect to the pitch at the end of main. I will probably repipe back to a counterflow system. Thanks for the help. Happy New Year to everyone.
    Dan
This discussion has been closed.