Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wm Ultra no ignition

Here's the service bulletin WM sent out for water treatment on the Ultra! Technical Services Bulletin
BULLETIN NO: SB-0603 DATE: October 10, 2006

Comments

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    wm Ultra no ignition

I have a WM Ultra with E 02 fault. I replaced the ignitor and still no fire. I pulled and checked for spark and it is not sparking. Combustion air is good, gas is good. What feeds the ignitor? do I need to replace a transformer?
  • mikea23
    mikea23 Member Posts: 224

E 02 is gas I think check gas after valve sounds like valve is stuck closed. The ignitor wont spark if valve does not open.

Mike A
  • Dave_4
    gas

I smelled gas when I pulled the ignitor and tried to see a spark. gas odor came out of ignitor port hole. (Careful not to light the place up) I will double check the gas valve. Boiler has been in operation 3 years, replaced one ignitor a year ago. I also notice the gasket on the housing is falling apart. There seams to be a lot of white specs inside the heat exchanger when i pulled the sight glass, because the sight glass was covered with the white dust also. Am I sucking in too much basement dust - possibly from the laundry area? What's causing all this buildup? I am going to replace the gasket and seal the thing up.

Does the ground lead go directly to the exchanger housing or just under the ignitor screw?
  • Dave_4
    gas

Not sure why my Author name keeps changing, but it is still me answering. WM Ultra no ignition.
  • bobbyg_2
    bobbyg_2 Member Posts: 139

Can you take some pictures for us? I am curious about the white specks...Are you pulling combustion (intake) air from outside? Did you get it going?
  • bruhl
    bruhl Member Posts: 10

I have seen my name change many times. I always change it back to correct before posting. On the other hand, I have seen one post and said "hey, I didn't write that".
  • Dave_4
    WM Ultra

Pulled it apart today - leaking heat exchanger. Not sure why yet. Looks like it had a leak for a while and the water leaking into the air side made a corroded trail to the condensate drain. Going to have the water tested, but i had 5 gallons of Cryotek in a 15 gallon system so i still dont know why it corroded from the water side. It's leaking from the base of one of the the post like fins.
    What was happening was the water buildup inside the exchanger was causing the fan to no flow enough air, and would not ignite. Dealer said thats the first one he's heard of, has anyone else had this happen?
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Cryotek

Aluminum friendly antifreeze ?

If not, that would be why it's leaking.

White specks and "fuzz" in the combustion side can be from improper combustion and would need to be set up with an analyzer.
  • Dave_4

No, the white was from calcium buildup from all the steam on that side. There was no fuzz, just corrosion/oxidation white buildup.
    What do you mean by the anti-freeze? I am going to test the PH and watch it carefully over time to see if it degrades.
  • Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Antifreeze

All aluminum block boilers must use antifreeze designed specifically for aluminum. I hope you didn't find out what happens when you don't. I've used Cryotec 100/Al with no problems. Here's the link.

http://www.weil-mclain.com/downloads/literature/ultragas/ultrafreeze.pdf

• Rocky_3
    Rocky_3 Member Posts: 232
    antifreeze must be aluminum rated.

since WM heat exchanger is aluminum, just any old antifreeze won't work. It must be rated for aluminum components. WM has a list of approved glycol manufacturers in their OEM manual for the Ultra. If your antifreeze is not aluminum rated, you may have just found out why it is leaking.

Regards,
    Rocky
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Maybe

I cleaned one that had fuzzy white debris at the top of the HX, near the burner. At the bottom, near the outlet, the HX was nearly plugged off by oxidation build up. That boiler did not leak.

If you've got regular Cryotek in there, you've got a problem..... NOT aluminum friendly.
This discussion has been closed.