Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

afue, snowmelt, etc.

Options
J.C.A._3
J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
Known plunderer!

I've been known to do a few here and there but.... I DON'T consider MYSELF the plunderer. I'm acting upon a Plunderers request. Not that it makes me any more GREEN, but I'm just doing what is asked of me...So I don't consider ME the "Plunderer".

Is there some kind of "guilt trip" involved? (and who's the travel agent?) Chris

Comments

• tom_49
    tom_49 Member Posts: 269
    Options
    AFUE , snowmelting

After reading lots of other threads regarding AFUE, green this, green that. It got me thinking of melting snow w/ radiant heat.

With all due respect to all the radiant gurus on this site (I have learned more here and Dans books,than anywhere else ). My question is: With all the talk about afue, green this and that, lifetime energy consumption, saving the earth for future generations, etc., etc. How can melting snow w/ radiant be allowed at all?

I understand that obviously you have to remove the snow somehow, but w/ "precious resources" like gas & oil?

I also understand that you need to use fuel to run the snow removal equiptment ( snow blowers, plows) but come on, I use about a pint of gas in my snowblower to clear my 140' driveway w/ 40' x 40' turn around. I could even use my shovel (gasp). You cant tell me that the amount of energy to heat my driveway would be anywhere near 1 pint of gasoline.

It just bogles my mind how much talk there is here on conservation and then see the same guys showing off their latest snow melt system.

We did a job a couple of years ago in a town I usually dont do much work in. The inspector wanted a detailed Man.J calc.,and details on the insulation, windows etc. which I thought was great. Then the HO talked about heating his 350' driveway for snow melt. The inspector didnt ask for 1 single thing regarding the snow melt portion of the project. So, why even bother with the Man J?

Merry Christmas all,

Tom
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    Options
    gasoline

approximately 120,000-125,000 btu's per gallon.

or for the 140'driveway section approx 14btu's per sq ft!
    using 1/8 gallon at 125,000bu/gal

little more efficient I'd say. but far too inconvenient for some people.

good for public building entrances though.

• Welcome to

Al Gore's World
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    snow melt

You are right on different levels. Snow melt systems do make sence in some application like ambulace drop off areas, Industrial buildingd where trucks are constantly leaving like UPS or Fed Ex. Snow melt is a perfect fit in residential applications where solar could run it most of the time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good question...

THe rest of the world wonders the same thing...

ME

(Know plunderer of mother natures bounties)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just stating the facts...

I could refuse, but some other fool would screw it all up, and I'd get called in to finish the job, so I plunder as efficiently as I can...

Still a plunderer nonetheless...

No guilt attached, and who told you about my travel agent?? :-)

ME (Headed for Isla Mujares)
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    PUN Intended.....

Have a great vacation. I wish I was headed for the Banana Republic, but I've got a theory.(I'm working on it)But it states that: "I'd rather be going somewhere where it's warm....when I'm coming back to somewhere where it's going to be getting warmer" Vs. coming back to somewhere I left that's getting into the cold season"....(make more...be able to spend more...keep the other half happier Like Curley...I just answered my own question about the "guilt trip agent")!O)

Just a theory, but I'm proving it so-far. Have a great time. Chris
This discussion has been closed.