Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler Od gas bill = Frustrated

Options
Bruce M
Bruce M Member Posts: 166
Did you do a heat loss calculation prior to the installation? What size is the new boiler and what size was the old boiler?

Comments

• Andrew_18
    Andrew_18 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    New boiler Same gas bill= Frusration

Hi, I had a new Buderus GB142/30 installed in an existing 1909 2 story house. new blown in insulation last year. and newer windows. I had a 50 year old weil mclain cast iron boiler before this. so the reason im writing is, shouldnt i be able to see a change in the amount of therms that i am using considering nothing has changed? I keep the house the same temperature that I did last year. but Im still using the same therms.I spent alot of money on this so am I wrong to assume I would see a fairly drastic change in usage? thanks for listening.

• Jordan_2
    Jordan_2 Member Posts: 14
    Options

I'm not sure about your location but we have had a much cooler late fall this year in western NY than last year.

Hugh
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,804
    Options
    Billing

Maybe the gas company is still estimating your bill.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Maybe..

the dollar amount rose 1/3... So if you reduced your consumption by 1/3 then your dollar amount would be the same.

Somethings funky...

ME
  • Jordan_2
    Jordan_2 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    How did Hugh and I get into the posting together

something is wrong as I did post an answer but it disappeared????
  • Brad White_184
    Brad White_184 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    It is a cookie thing

As Dan explained it to me and others, if you swap e-mails with a URL in it, your identity can switch. You go in as Tim McElwain and come out as Carmen Miranda replete with a fruit basket hat and flamboyant dress.

If you delete your cookies or at least those originating on this site, you get your identity and presumably, your wardrobe back.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options

You are comparing consumption in therms. Question, is the cost of the therms from last year to this year.

Are you using the new boiler to heat your domestic hot water, where maybe before you did not?

Is the new boiler the same or smaller btu rated than the old?

Most important, are you more comfortable before you weatherized the house, and installed a new boiler or now?

Gordy
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    gas bill

In my location November was 35% colder than last year and Dec was 29% colder as of a 2 week ago. So i'd say you have saved ay least a 3rd.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Wait a second...

...you mean I could get one of those fruit hats, too?

This is gonna be great.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,699
    Options
    more info

it's difficult to believe your new system is not saving you any money. You mean to say you're comparing to a year ago, and the temps were the same last year? This year has been much colder at least in Mass.

And your indoor temperature; you're quite sure you're keeping the indoor temperature the same? I often wonder if people don't turn down their old systems in fear of high gas bills, then turn up the new system because "it's that efficient"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Variables

As been mentioned in the other posts you need to compare apples to apples to see what your rewards may be.

You are comparing therms that is a good start BUT.

What are the HDD from last year to this year?

IS the bill estimated, or actual from the same periods last year to this year?

Is the billing cycle the same?

If you are using gas to heat your DHW is usage the same?

Was the new boiler installed after the envelope was tightened or before, or at the same time?

Cost per therm?

This is just a start.

Gordy
This discussion has been closed.