Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any Oilheads recycling fuel oil from Slop Pail?

....has a waste oil heater that heats his shop. He brought me a 55 gallon drum, which we pour our oil into, and he comes and pumps it out every so often.

Win-win for both of us!!

Starch

Comments

• Saggs
    Saggs Member Posts: 174

I have over 100 gals of used fuel oil from service calls and cleanings. All stages of the stuff from clean to black and some w/ water. With oil over 3bucks a gallon, does anyone have some ideas of gravity fed water and crud separation so I can safely put the stuff back in MY tank?
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684

I let my settle ina 55 gallon chemical drum then keep skimming the oil off the top as treatable and useable oil.

When the drum is completely full of thick sludge I have it hauled away by a recycling company,.. at a great expense to me.
    "We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684

The thing that has stopped me from giving my oil away to places with waste oil heaters is the transportation. I'd love to find someone in my area that would come and take it away for free for his waste oil heater.
    "We see the world as WE are, not as IT is, because it is the "I" behind the EYE that does the seeing"
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Luckily,

I have a local mechanic who heats his whole shop...all winter on waste oil. He lets me dump it right into his tank. He thinks the heater gets a bit of a break when it burns some light fuel every once in a while.

Norm, check out the local garages and "spread the wealth" as long as they're willing. Chris
  • Saggs
    Saggs Member Posts: 174

Do you think running it thru a double filter system and some type of "sediment trap" or container to catch the water down low would clean it up enough to burn in my boiler? The large drum "skimming" method sounds effective.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    I like....

A triple filtration system with the first filter being a water separator, that has a drain cock on the bottom...like a marine engine filter.(try Perkins Marine)

It has a glass bowl, and will show when to drain it....and when you've let it go too far.

Like Norm said...what's left isn't a good thing, but saving it up and having a source to make sure it is disposed of properly is the way to go.

Pricey..to be sure, but with the price of fuel climbing like it is....could it be worth the price? I'm thinking MAYBE. Go for it. Chris
This discussion has been closed.