Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Greenwood wood boilers?

Options
I had a guy close to me looking for an installer, not into wood boilers <i>really</i> .<BR>Said the others were "questionable".<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    They look good at the trade shows

and the folks behind them seem sincere.

Wood boilers and OWF are common here in Missouri. The biggest challenge is the owner/ operator. Not everyone is cut out to heat with solid fuels. It takes a lot of desire.

Gasification boilers are especially sensitive to wood quality. Green wood or high moisture content doesn't set so well with the high efficiency types of wood burners.

Buffer tanks for sure, dump zones... possibly if they plan on leaving them un-attended for extended periods.

Check out www.woodheat.org there is a ton of great info there and a good mix of pros and cons regarding wood heat. Send any prospective customer by that site also.

The smell of wood smoke in my shirt as I pound this post out. Ring me up if I can help you in any way.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Thanks Bob,

as I said, this guy is trying to sell these units up here, but having a prob finding anyone knowledgeable in hydronics.
    Don`t know him, or these boilers, so I was curious!
    Thanks

Dave
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    sounds like opportunity knocking

be sure to figure enough hours for a few callbacks.

I think it could be a great niche business, plenty of folks shopping for alternative sources. Wood looks great to many.

Most plumbing and heating contractors shy away from them around here. With some hydronic piping experience they are not hard to install.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Options
    I've narrowed my choice down

To eiether Greenwood or Tarm. I'm not going to install one until next year, was even approached by one distributor in Pa. to set up a dealership (but won't quit my day job!). I'd really like to go with a gasifier, but as HR says, it is sensitive to wood quality, which I have plenty of "low quality" wood to harvest on my property...BTW Hot Rod, if it's ok with you, I'd like to e-mail you sometime in the not too distant future; have some questions about my upcoming install I would like to ask....mfm
  • Joe Billow_6
    Joe Billow_6 Member Posts: 69
    Options

Greenwood makes a good boiler, I like the fact that you can close the system with them. The only draw back is that you have to have them enclosed in a building. The insurance can get hard to find for a HO. Profab is another company that makes gasification units and they are the outdoor type, good quality boilers.
  • Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Another good site

with specific information on Greenwood and other wood gasification-type boilers is http://www.hearth.com
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    Just heard this evening

Someone in the wood burning industry told me that ProFab(from Canada?) was ceasing production at the end of the year due to environmental issues. Word was that they were looking into the possibility of private labeling Greenwood boilers and selling them through their existing distribution channels.

I can't verify that in any way but that's what I was told.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    Do your research

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/10679/

Some very good discussions on wood burning equipment there.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Here in MD

in Carol County just North of me there are restrictions on Wood Burning boilers due to environmental issues. Something to check before you make a big investment. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.