Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best way for DHW off Steam Boiler?

Options
ed wallace
ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
take the supply off lower spot on boiler that you can return just below water line use a b+g 100 or a taco110 pump

Comments

• Saggs
    Saggs Member Posts: 174
    Options

Maybe there is no "best" way to get DHW off a steam boiler but I have a customer looking for more storage capacity for his DHW than his tankless coil gives him now. They have a 3yr old W/M steamer. I was thinking about piping in a Smart40 or somthing similar. Supply comes off just under the water line and the return goes in down low? I also saw some of the Ever-Hot products such as "side arm" tanks etc... Any thoughts?
  • Unknown
    Options
    I like this method

Zone Heating With Condensate

Noel
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    Here are some options:

Condensate-Hot-Water Heating

It pays to wander off the Wall.
    Retired and loving it.
  • With such a young boiler

I'd try connecting an aquabooster with the coil . It's just an electric heater ( without using the elements ) , ad a bronze pump to circulate hot water through the coil into the tank .
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    DHW/Steam

Noel, That is how I do it, and that is how my Grandfather did it.

He also did Vacuumatics, but that was a looong time ago.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684
    Options

I think this is pretty mush the same wiring as you describe Noel. Here's how I do it.

http://www.newcastleadornments.com/steamdhwwiring.jpg

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    There is a perfect way to do this!

Use the coil as the source of D/H/W. Use the W/M Plus indirect for the storage.

Put a simple digital timer in the "on" circuit to reduce standby losses and run times in summer.

Done it many times for D/H/W or radiant sub-system.

We also did multiple water sub systems with BOTH radiant zones and indirect storage from one coil.

Allowing the boiler to be "on" for a few hours in the morning and a few at night (the two primary hot water usage times) with a $35. programmer is key. No one wants to hear or see the boiler on 5 or 10 or more times a day, especially in summer!

If you need more details, let me know.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.