Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam water comig out of vent

Options
Dave_4
Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
Probably one of two things.

Either the pressure is too high (should be below 2 PSI) or the boiler's flooded.

It may be that the gage glass, and pressuretrol are faked out! Check the pigtail tube that goes from some nearby pipe to the pressuretrol and make sure its not plugged. Dependoing on lots of variables I am not privy to yet, the plugging of that tube will prevent the pressuretrol from stopping the boiler @ 2 PSI and allow water to back up into the returns from the excess pressure. The gage glass may be plugged with "junk" faking out what you see, from what's actually going on water-level-wise inside the gage glass and close-by controls/tube/pipe.

Do you know how to blow down the gage glass?

When was the last time someone serviced the unit? Specifically, the water side? (not the burner or fireside(s)? What's the water look like when you blow down the LWCO (low water cut off)? Have you drained the boiler block lately? If so, what's that water looking like?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=504&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Fred Maroni
    Fred Maroni Member Posts: 1
    Options
    leakin steam vent

I have a radiator at the end of a one pipe steam system that keeps pouring water out of the vent. I changed the vent to an adjustable type, I flushed out the radiator with a hose from all openings. the radiator is pitched the water level is correct in the boiler. I disconnected the 1 inch return line at the boiler and sucked it out with a wet vac I got some scale and rust out. I ran the system with the return open at the boiler and got good flow of condensate back. The supply main is 2 inch and at the end of the run there is a reducing 90, 2 to 1, and the condensate line runs about 2 inches below the supply. when I ran the vac on the line we got good suction at the vent tapping. We closed the valve at the radiator and a few days later got water at the 2nd floor rad. directly above it. there is a radiator 5 feet from this one that gets no water, i changed out the radiator with one that was not being used and got the same problem. the condensate line gets very hot when the system is running. there is another loop that comes off the boiler to feed another section that has no problems.I am at my wits end. please help.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I like a mystery

How big is the riser that feeds this radiator, and how big is the radiator?

Is this main insulated?

Is the near boiler piping to spec, and big enough for the boiler and the load?

Is the equalizer full size?

Are the returns partly plugged?

Is the water line stable when it runs?

Have any extra radiators been added to that main in the last 50 years or so?

Noel
This discussion has been closed.