Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

\"What I learned about solar in 2nd grade today...\"

Options
Ran the garden hose back and forth across the roof and showed me how hot the water could get, when I was about 14 years old. I didn't know it at the time, but that is what hooked me. Bob Gagnon

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=331&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Jason Quinn_2
    Jason Quinn_2 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    My son's 2nd grade solar thermal lesson today

My son was standing next to me tonight as I logged onto Heating Help; he commented as he is familiar with this site. He then said,"Today in school I learned how a solar panel on the roof absorbs heat from the sun and uses it to heat water in a tank located in the basement- pipes go from the panel to the tank and from the tank to the kitchen sink- it's so cool! I couldn't wait to write about it because I knew what it was from listening to you talk about it." I was so proud.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Future solar/hydronician???

If you want to nurture that seed, let him play with solar by building a wooden box with some glazing on it, and something as simple as a rubber hose or plastic tubing running through it. Point it at the sun, and start running water through the hose at a trickle and watch his eyes light up as he feels the hot water coming from within.

My father let me build one that we used flat black finned tube elements in (baseboard fins). It was about 4' X 4'. Above this box, we mounted an old 40 gallon water heater tank, and allowed gravity to do it's thang. The unit would actually generate steam at solar noon...

Got me hooked on hydronics, and solar...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.