Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Balance valves

Options
Greg B
Greg B Member Posts: 3
Hi, I have a two loop system with base ray cast iron baseboard oiled fire heat. There is a balancing or flow restriction valve on the end of two of the main heaters which I assume is one for each loop? They do not not open or close like a conventonal shuttoff vave and I have learned that they are to balance the flow of the two loops individually. Does anyone know how this is done anymore as my local heating guys just shrug their shoulders? One loop gets very warm and the other so so. I discovered that the last owner fooled with these to save money. I believe it is done by using a thermometer but not sure what the range is to turn the valves themselves. They will keep turning without stopping though they have arrows indicating open and closed positions. Any help greatly appreciated. Bled all the units and so forth. Everything else seems fine.

Comments

• Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    balancing

Pretty simple actually. Just check the temps on each side of the loops and use the valves to even out the temp. Overheating on one side.....close the valve a little. Underheating, open the valve a little. Simple trial and error exercise, no rocket science involved.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White_2
    Brad White_2 Member Posts: 188
    Options
    Balancing Act

You should accept this basic premise of all balancing valves:

It is not to restrict any flow so much as to make the pressure drops of all branches equal.

If your valves are of the Wye Pattern (my favorite) these will take several turns to get them fully open to fully closed. Their flow response is fairly linear, unlike a 1/4-turn ball valve which will do nothing for 45 degrees then do everything in the last 45 degrees, rapidly.

The loop that gets very warm and the one that is so-so: I would start by opening up the "so-so" to get the flow-flow to go-go. You know?

This way you would not be adding head to the system but allowing your circulator to work more freely.

Try that first and see the results. Absent hooking a pressure gauge across good balancing pressure ports (which your valves may have), most balancing is done by feel and comfort. That is what it is all about in the end.
  • Greg B
    Greg B Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Loop Balance

Hey guys, thanks for the response. I understand the concept involved but these valves spin continuously with no stop in either direction? They just keep spinning. Possibly the former owner broke off the what appear to be little stop tabs that might have extended down or maybe this is the design? So my question would be what can I use for a reference point? I read once that these do not need much movement once they get dialed in. Would an image help? Also there seem to be 2 other factors that were on this forum someplace else and in my system. Former homeowner replaced a stand up cast iron radiator with a slant fin unit so there might a pressure issue with mixing this and the baseray and also another stand up cast iron unit was removed and instead of capping the inlet and return lines they were just reconnected together with a piece of pipe an 2 elbows? Should I open up the ceiling and cut this bridge out and cap the unused lines? Seems like they just connect the inlet and return lines? That can't help the situation right? I would rather do it sooner than later if you know what I mean. I have access now without too much drywall work. Thanks for the help.
    Greg
This discussion has been closed.