Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

combination of hot water baseboard/radiators and mini-splits

Options
Hello ..
That is exactly what I did for my remodel. W/M Ultra boiler 3 heat zones and DHW and Sanyo mini split A/C, 4 wall units giving 4 zones. Great combination and the best fit for my house. The mini split A/C gives great flexibility. Both my electric and utility costs have decreased. Great combination for excellent comfort and quiet. Ultra is in the corner of the kitched where a cabinet was removed. No more noise from it than a fridge. Used two different professionals. The plumber does not do AC and the AC guys only do oil heat. Both excellent quality work.
Harry

Comments

• Eli_3
    Eli_3 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Combination of hot water baseboard/radiators and mini-splits

Dear All,

I am thinking on putting a combination of hot water baseboard/radiators and mini-splits in my new house. Any thoughts on pros and cons of the above solution vs regular hot/cold air delivery systems. All comments/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Eli
  • Eli_3
    Eli_3 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    combination of hot water baseboard/radiators and mini-splits

Harry,

Thx for getting back. a few questions:
    1. I am planning for 2 level house around 3200 SQ Ft, first floor open space, second 4 bedrooms; how many mini splits would you think be required?
    2. How much that combination be more expensive vs regular duct hot/cold air system?

Thank you,
    Eli
  • Harry C. Bellangy
    Harry C. Bellangy Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Mini Splits

Hi ..
    I have 4 wall units supported by 2 outside units on the back of the house roof. They are out of the way and don't clutter the yard. One inside unit in front of house down stairs and one in the back area. I have a relatively small house. Two bedrooms on second floor, one wall unit in each. Finished attic but did not A/C. Have your professional do the analysis for the best performance and comfort. Yes, you will pay more by doing a hot water heating system and mini split A/C but the comfort from the hot water heat and flexibility with the A/C is well worth it. Outdoor reset with a mod/con boiler (I have a W/M Ultra) makes for a very comfortable house and reduced gas bills. I could have had a hot air/AC furnace system installed for a fraction of what I paid for the two systems but having lived with hot air in the past I knew I did not want it for my home. Also the furnace/ducts would have been a problem to install. Again, contact the professionals for the best results. Hot water heat with mod/con and reset along with split A/C systems are a great way to go. Harry
This discussion has been closed.